New member, couple questions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey,

Moved into my new place in June of last year. Picked up a tiller on Craigslist for 50 bucks slapped a new magneto on it with a new spark plug and got some beans cucumbers peppers tomatoes beets melons and radishes in. Most did well.

This year I'm doubling the garden and starting much earlier. I've already planted a row of peas and re planted some dormant peppers that don't look too thrilled. I also planted three pear trees in hopes to get kiwis haha.

I'm looking into starting seedlings indoors which I've done before, but as we know they become all lanky and weak.

So I have a few questions to start with were running >40F Nights and nearly +/-70F during the day. Would it be easiest (and probably cheapest) to buy and outdoor little green house and start out doors and take advantage of the sun and greenhouse effect etc.

Or

Get a grow light for my kitchen table (Question becomes LED or T5 etc.)
(And actually I found some 12 x 12 LED lights that I think I like)

THANKS!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Fings369. :)

I'm not sure of your climate but most plants will grow stronger given the light and sun outside, so a greenhouse is always a bonus even unheated. Seedlings tend to suffer under low temperatures particularly overnight early in the season. 50F/10C is a comfortable overnight temperature but if it drops to 45F/7C or below they will either struggle or die depending on the plant/seedlings that are being grown. 70F/21C is a reasonable growing temperature but with a greenhouse it's necessary not to let the temperature get to high, particularly during the summer. It must be well ventilated or even shaded.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)A warm welcome to you @Fings369. I agree with @Sheal and would go with a small greenhouse. A greenhouse can provide fresh air and good circulation, natural light, and also humidity that your kitchen table and LED lights will not do so well. And i think you should end up with more robust seedlings.

Ask a Question