A couple questions about hydrangeas.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have been hesitant to plant some plants in the yard. I am renting this house. I don't want to leave them when I move, I tend to get very attached to my plants as I watch them grow and flourish. :love: And, I don't want to invest in something that the next tenants may mow down.

Recently I found an article telling how to grow a hydrangea in a container, without it outgrowing the pot, and... I'd still be able to move it. :cool: (y)

For those who don't click links, I'll post a snippet of the article. You'll just have to click open the quote box! ;)

In the past, a hydrangea would grow so fast in a pot that the roots would fill the container in one summer, and watering would become a constant chore. Very soon the hydrangea would have to be planted in the ground because it completely outgrew the pot.

For this "trick" to work, one must be able to place the pot in a flower bed or in a location with bare soil under the pot. For best results the drainage holes should be large and nothing should be placed over the holes. (You can probably see where this is going.)

The first year that the hydrangea is growing in the pot, normal watering is required, as you would any potted plant. The second year, the roots should begin growing out the drainage holes and into the ground. Don't move the pot. As one might expect, the better the plant becomes rooted into the ground, the less it needs supplemental watering. This is a boon to those who travel during the summer. If one must move the plant or give it away, just cut the roots off right under the pot, and the hydrangea will transplant very well (especially if it is dormant).

http://hydrangeashydrangeas.com/

I know we have a couple people that grow hydrangeas - do you think this would work? :unsure:

Also, this page says that there are hydrangeas small enough to fit in a perennial border. Does anyone have experience with these "mini-hydrangeas"? o_O

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm hydrangea heavy, on purpose. Big bang for the buck!

I posted these awhile back-dwarf variety named 'bobo'.

These really started blooming a few weeks ago and have just now intensified-will bloom for a good while now.
DSCF3927 (2).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes, I have one small size hydrangea, it only grows up to four foot, and stays that way, for all these years. And I do have it in my perennial garden. It has not been pruned ever in the 7 years I have had it, still remains only 4 foot tall, maybe coming out wider some. It looks prunable, but I don't as the position its in is fine. This one is a lace cap. I am pretty sure I got it from Heronwood Nursery up in Washington state, had it shipped in. I want to say all are from there, but I do recall one is from a local nursery, but not this one. Yep, found the picture. That red in the picture continues to get darker and darker, in the fall its the color of dark brick red, and the flowers stay on even in September.
IMG_2297.JPG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ooh, @Esther Knapicius, that white/pink/red is really pretty!! :love: (y)

Any thoughts on my other question?

Maybe if I used a paddle bit, and made the drain holes bigger, that would help. :unsure: I'd probably want to pick a more cold-hardy variety, since a lot of the roots would be above-ground. It wouldn't be staying there forever... ;) :D

@mg guy, don't you have some in pots? I think I remember seeing pics of hydrangeas in pots... but maybe that was another poster in another thread... :unsure: :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
indirectly I was saying, as this particular one, has held its small shape by itself for 7 years now, with only a bit of width, and I have not pruned it, I was guessing it would do well in a large pot, until you move to your own place. and this one I have, would be a zone 4 or 5. I am not one to get too many zone 6 of anything, unless the plant description says extra strong etc.
Have you googled --growing hydrangeas in pots?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
indirectly I was saying, as this particular one, has held its small shape by itself for 7 years now,
By that, I assumed you had not moved it... and it was an answer to the "mini-hydrangea" question.

Have you googled --growing hydrangeas in pots?
Yes, but I was wondering about cutting the roots after it has grown through the pot into the ground. I'm not sure how "delicate" they are, and if it would survive the cutting of its roots. :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes, have not moved it, and it is still on the small side, and have not pruned it, in 7 years or so. time goes.

not sure about the cutting the roots either. What type were they talking about in the pots. They may not be talking the very small to begin with.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have all 4 of mine in pots from last year. I bought them £1 each and they are fantastic. All in pots. Temperature here -4 to 30c from winter to summer. In the winter, I lined them up on the south facing and west facing border. Everything survived and have been exceptionally happy after I learned by intuition to line them up all along there.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What type were they talking about in the pots. They may not be talking the very small to begin with.

Those actually were two separate questions. (1.) Do you think this planting would work?
And (2.) Please tell me about mini-hydrangeas.

They didn't name a certain type of hydrangea, all they said was (paraphrasing,) "You can do this!! (y)." I suppose I can go to google for more info, but I wanted "real people" experience and opinions, not just... :eek: "some stuff someone put on the internet." :cautious:

All in pots. Temperature here -4 to 30c from winter to summer.
Hmm... the last time they updated the USDA plant hardiness zone was 2005, and personally I think it's time to do it again. But, if the weather ever goes back to "normal," I can expect an annual extreme minimum temperature of -23.3 to -20.6C. :eek: (The coldest we got this past December and January was about -16.1C.)

Since I consider myself zone 7, maybe if I found one rated at least to zone 4, it would work. :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my little red one is at least a zone 5 minimum

sorry, but I don't have real experience in potting hydrangeas , or not too many stuff. It has to survive outside. I'd just keep googling, asking certain questions. but keep your mind open, not everyone knows they "types of hydrangeas out there"

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Where I live, the weather is very mild. A little bit of snow, the country grinds to a halt.. Lots of excuses..

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@mg guy, don't you have some in pots? I think I remember seeing pics of hydrangeas in pots... but maybe that was another poster in another thread... :unsure: :oops:[/QUOTE]

nope. don't have any in pots-though I have seen it done. Can be quite striking!

Ask a Question