Married Couples Tax Allowance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I was unaware that Cameron, brought in changes in 2015 that married men could claim any unused tax allowance for their wives. Someone mentioned it to me last week.
As my wife doesn't work and pays no tax anyway, I was able top claim it back, on-line so I've just had a letter from HM Revenue to tell me I've a few hundred quid to come back to me for 2015/16 and 2016/17. 2017/18 hasn't been calculated yet, so that too will be coming plus a reduction in my tax liability for 2018/19.

If you or your other half haven't claimed it if you are entitled.

There you go.

Marriage Allowance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes we were planning on doing this last year, but never got round to it:( Must sort it out(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In case, @Zenj didn't get the message. Here I repeat it. Sorry, I kept typing Zenji .. LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What is that in your avatar please? I've never seen it before! Mind you, there are a lot of flowers which I have never seen.

A hellebore?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
right again alp it is a hellebore called double blush I have one but not flowering size yet , I liked the look of it so hope it turns out the same!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
As this was started by UK folks. We in USA have already---what is called dependents. The wage earner gets to place a number of his dependents on a form and that reduces taxed taken out. Example Wife (not working) and 5 children under age of 25 --would equal 6 dependents. Also you can claim yourself as one dependent that then has less taxes taken out, but it is a risk at the end if you don't do a long form to show additional deductions or you might have to pay back some. but it is better to own than to wait for the tax check back to you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Err...

I think my "you or your other half" reference covered it.

You only said that after having said it was for men to claim in respect of their wives' unused personal allowance, so for the avoidance of doubt I thought it best to clarify. No offence intended ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
You only said that after having said it was for men to claim in respect of their wives' unused personal allowance, so for the avoidance of doubt I thought it best to clarify. No offence intended ;)

None taken.

I thought that the title "Married Couples Tax Allowance," and

"If you or your other half haven't claimed it if you are entitled," would have been sufficient information, but I didn't mind you clarifying it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The cheque arrived this morning!
I'll probably have to wait until next year foe 2017-2018. But in the meantime my tax code will have gone up.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmarCharo43

Latest Threads