6 March 2016 Walla Walla Onion

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/March%202016/6%20March%202016%20Walla%20Walla%20Onion/HTML/ 6 March 2016 Walla Walla Onion Allium cepa ‘Walla Walla’; Family: Liliaceae (Lily Family)
Ten sprouted Walla Walla Onion seeds were planted individually in seedling pots. They were sprouted in a damp serviette and germinated in three days. Experience indicates that the seed must be purchased fresh each year. Old seed does not germinate. These onion will be planted out in May. The bulbs need a long season to mature. The bulbs are about grapefruit size and are very mild, making a nice slicing onion for sandwiches.
dsc_86726%20march%202016%20walla%20walla%20onion_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice, I am watching your thread, will be looking for updates as I have started my Walla Walla also. I live in New England, (CT). I have started some oinon seeds in my basement (Walla Walla &Red Grano), temp in basement ranges from 50 to 60 degrees. I have the seedling in a self watering tray (Burpee) with 2 120-Watt Agro Plant Light BR40 Flood Light Bulb about 8 to 10 inches above the tray, on for about 12 to 14 hrs. I also have a Elfin Growth Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Mat under the tray. I am using a small fan to circulate the air to help keep white, fluffy fungus from growing. My soil temp is about 60 digress. I would like to increase it to about 75 if I could. I would not like to put a cover over seedling tray as I think this will promote white, fluffy fungus. Any thoughts or ideas on how to rase the soil temp would be a great help. I was thinking of adding a fish tank heater to heat the water up in the tray, thought?
FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_0742.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You don't need light for germination, just some heat and moisture. And after germination lots of light, preferably sunlight. I never use artificial light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
http://durgan.org/2016/March%202016/6%20March%202016%20Walla%20Walla%20Onion/HTML/ 6 March 2016 Walla Walla Onion Allium cepa ‘Walla Walla’; Family: Liliaceae (Lily Family)
Ten sprouted Walla Walla Onion seeds were planted individually in seedling pots. They were sprouted in a damp serviette and germinated in three days. Experience indicates that the seed must be purchased fresh each year. Old seed does not germinate. These onion will be planted out in May. The bulbs need a long season to mature. The bulbs are about grapefruit size and are very mild, making a nice slicing onion for sandwiches.
dsc_86726%20march%202016%20walla%20walla%20onion_std.jpg
Have any updated pics of your Wallas, I just transplanted seedlings into 3" pots. Seeds where started on 2/27.
IMG_0814.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I start my onions in fall outside in a hot frame and some inside in the winter. Mine are still small, but ready to go in my garden soon.

Modern heating pads automatically shut off after a short time so I can't use them for warming seeds. I use old heating pads without the auto shut-off, waterebed heaters, and recently found a plate warmer that is about 14" wide by 5' long and covered with canvas. I get these at garage sales and second hand stores.

I also just use normal fluorescent shop light fixtures with regular bulbs, but I leave them on 24/7. They actually work better than grow lights for me.

Ask a Question