Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
14 March 2016 Gruel. Breakfast Cereal
Posted on March 14, 2016 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2016/March%202016/14%20March%202016%20Gruel.%20Breakfast%20Cereal/HTML/ 14 March 2016 Gruel.Breakfast Cereal
Gruel was made from whole wheat kernels, chia seeds, almonds, sunflower seeds. The seeds were beat in the blender with water and placed in a double boiler cooking pot, which prevents burning. Cooked for about an hour. The gruel will be stored in plastic containers in the refrigerator and freezer. Usually I add flax and nixtamalized corn but had none. A bowlful makes a fine breakfast.

dsc_875714%20march%202016%20gruel_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Whoever gave christened it "gruel" must've been the same person who named "mush" and "grits". They ensured that just about no one who wasn't raised on the stuff would ever want to try it. :rolleyes:

P.S. I was raised on grits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've never had gruel but it certainly sounds healthy - what kind of consistency does it have? Porridge-y?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Consistency of the gruel is ideal to ingest with a bit of milk.

It sure is an improvement over the packaged cereal so common in NA, also dirt cheap depending a bit upon the ingredients used. Field corn and wheat can be very economical.

Reaction score
I like to quickly microwave oats, water, salt, and cinnamon. When it is done I add a dah of milk and some artificial sweetener. My GOAL is oatmeal cookie flavor, but I do not QUITE have the taste right, yet! I will continue to fiddle with it.

Because oatmeal can have a gluey texture, I make it a bit thin to counteract that. I hated oatmeal when I was a child, but that was because it was cooked until it was stiff.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Large flake oats is among the best. It is hard to get whole grain oats since the grain doesn't keep. I use to eat oats daily until I decided to enlarge the nutritional value by making the gruel.

Actually my breakfast consists of a bowl of gruel and a bowl of soy beans.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RPGMQ 29 November 2014 Processing Soy Beans.
One liter of dried soy beans were processed for a breakfast food. Procedure is rinse, boil for about half an hour, rinse again, soak for 12 hours, rinse, cook in pressure cooker for 1.5 to 2 hours. Blend into a slurry, add a bit of molasses for flavor. Store in containers. They will keep in the refrigerator for about ten days before spoiling. I usually store in the freezer to remove the spoiling concern. A bowl is ingested each morning.

Reaction score
I am not familiar with this gruel and what I am usually eating for breakfast are corn flakes cereal and oatmeal. I always eat my oatmeal with fresh milk and fruits like banana, apple and strawberry. And I always love a thin consistency of this kind of mixture for a more enjoyable breakfast.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Gruel makes me an appetizing and fulfilling breakfast. Man the name does NOT do it justice. Usually I like it with almond milk. There are other hot cereals too, not just what was in this one. Red Mills has a hot cereal that you just steam and add honey and cinnamon with a little cream and its delicious and filling.

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
It really does sound healthy. Quite similar to the mix I used to eat as a child; corn grains, soya beans, ginger and nuts blended together to make a fine powder and cooked over low heat with the option of sugar and compulsory milk.

Ask a Question