4 rows of potatoes.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
.... Our soil is heavy I have to dig up potatoes. Relatives in Illinois pull up the plants all the potatoes pull up out of the soil. Their soil is light weight 90% of their potatoes come up and stay attached to the plants. ...
Same here. Most of my new potatoes are "pulled" as opposed to "dug"...makes it nice to harvest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today I raked pine needles off of the driveway there turned out to be more than I expected. I had several baskets full enough pine needles to cover 2 rows of potatoes 3" deep with pine needles. Dark soil will probably heat up more from the sun than brown pine needles but I hope pine needles will prevent soil from washing away we have 3 months of rain coming. I have 4 rows of potatoes this is first time I every had 200 saved seed potatoes from last years crop. I try different experiments every year to learn what works best. Red potatoes always out produce white potatoes 4 to 1.

100_2965.JPG
100_2966.JPG
100_2969.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pine needles make a wonderful short-term mulch. My pines (Pinus halepensis and Pinus pinea) drop there needles in late Summer. Its quite serendipitous, as that is when I can most use some extra free mulch to supply added shelter for drought-weary beds. Of course, their presence will help reduce erosion as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, I must add, pine needles do not have any significant effect on soil pH.

That is TRUE. Green pine needles are a little bit acid but dry pine needles are no different than dry dead grass. Jan to April we get lots of rain almost every day I hope pine needle help prevent potato hills from washing away. Record rain fall last year was 37 inches.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was clean up and decided to burn a bunch of cardboard boxes that were all pushes down inside each other to save space. I don't want a big fire to get out of control so I burned boxes 1 at a time. Down in the bottom I found 62 seed potatoes they don't look like much but I hate to throw them out so I planted them. Wow this makes 5 rows of potatoes = 260 plants. This is the first time I have planted potatoes in Nov. at the new house this garden usually gets flooded all winter with 2" of water it rains every day. Potatoes planted March 1st then harvested 4 months later in 100° hot weather usually only produce 1 lb of new potatoes per eye. I use to get 2 lbs of new potatoes per eye at the other house when planted Nov 1st. Wait an see last year 1/2 the potato crop rotted last winter we had rain every day garden was underwater for 2 months. This year I hope hills are above the swamp and plants don't rot. If we get 2 lbs new potatoes per eye from the Nov crop that will = 520 lbs new potatoes. If we get 1 lb per eye = 260 lbs new potatoes. If 1/2 the plants rot like last year = 130 lbs new potatoes. Wait an see. If this garden didn't flood Jan to April potatoes would be easier to grow.

p4.JPG

p5.JPG

p6.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question