Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Now I need to make a catalogue of what I HAVEN'T DONE yesterday and get cracking!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning , wet start today. I lift all my dahlia's and put them into storage , I am not sure what you are doing wrong Upsy, do you turn them upside down for a week or 2 and where are you storing them. I mulch some plants with a pile of leaves for winter protection works for me.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning , wet start today. I lift all my dahlia's and put them into storage , I am not sure what you are doing wrong Upsy, do you turn them upside down for a week or 2 and where are you storing them. I mulch some plants with a pile of leaves for winter protection works for me.

Do you wash the dirt off the tubers, Perki ? I think I will definitely mulch them this year as i have a looooot of woodchips!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you wash the dirt off the tubers, Perki ? I think I will definitely mulch them this year as i have a looooot of woodchips!
No I dont wash with water just pick off excess dirt, I don't think its advised to wash them either kind of defeats the object of drying them out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning @Perki , yes I clean them and turn them upside down to drain/ dry for a week or two. Now where to store could be my problem Perki ...I have stored them below the greenhouse staging..but now I've learnt that they shouldn't be in the greenhouse, might try hubs workshop ( sneaky hiding skills required:D) Do mice eat them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning @Perki , yes I clean them and turn them upside down to drain/ dry for a week or two. Now where to store could be my problem Perki ...I have stored them below the greenhouse staging..but now I've learnt that they shouldn't be in the greenhouse, might try hubs workshop ( sneaky hiding skills required:D) Do mice eat them?

What are you storing them in Upsy ? Sand / old compost - plastic tub - wooden box ?

I stored mine in wooden box in the GH first year with sand very good results but the box was quite heavy with it being sand. 2nd year used old compost with ok results but lost a few, they seem to get damper which cause seem to rot . last year I stored them in the tomatoe bed in the GH , I have far to many now to store in the wooden box but the results were the best I've ever had all the dahlia tuber were in excellent condition.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all just got back 4 hour drive :-( been working in the wye valley near Chepstow what a stunning part of the U.K. hope everyone is well :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What are you storing them in Upsy ? Sand / old compost - plastic tub - wooden box ?

I stored mine in wooden box in the GH first year with sand very good results but the box was quite heavy with it being sand. 2nd year used old compost with ok results but lost a few, they seem to get damper which cause seem to rot . last year I stored them in the tomatoe bed in the GH , I have far to many now to store in the wooden box but the results were the best I've ever had all the dahlia tuber were in excellent condition.

Pots with either used dry potting compost from my hanging baskets/ tubs or fresh ( but again dry). So you think the greenhouse is OK then? Some of the 'experts ' say its the worse place because even in winter on sunny days the temp will fluctuate too much, that's why I though maybe in the workshop....but it would be dark for most of the time in there.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all just got back 4 hour drive :-( been working in the wye valley near Chepstow what a stunning part of the U.K. hope everyone is well :)

Have the feeling that you were working! Sorry. Posted it in the wrong place. Hope @DeborahJane doesn't mind.

Just come back from lugging horse manure. Best ever - very solid and black and I was amazed at how little was left. Used to have 3 times the size. Probably because everybody is tightening the belt. Wish I had cow manure as the weeds in this mess are difficult to get rid of and I can't burn anything here as this is so built up here.

Sweating terribly as the sun came out and it was very humid when we were there. I had to wheeled the tubs to the back and just come in to have lunch and stay glued to the fan. Hopefully, can go and get some shingles later if it is not too hot.

@Upsy Daisy You can always take cuttings.

@Leeski I saw in house hunting in Escape to the country and it was Wye Valley and Monmouthshire. The houses were high up the valley and the panoramic views were incredible. Imagine waking up every morning to that. The couple wanted Glamping and there were already solar panels installed on acres of land. Amazing find and they bought it.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
But these pumpkins or squashes are taking the biscuits

4F379A0E00000578-6076325-image-a-22_1534703373595.jpg

:ROFLMAO: Those are Turban squash, they are supposed to look like that!!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/sea...MwXzEEc2VjA3Nj?p=Turban+Squash&fr=yfp-hrtab-s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question