Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

Thanks for the link @alp.

Yes I've tried that way too @Logan, that's the way my Mum over wintered hers. Still wasn't successful for me... I'm jinxed:). Our soil is clay based ....rock hard or soggy so it's a chance to take leaving tubers or bulbs in the ground. I lift summer bulbs and they store well....it's just Dahlias and me.......we don't get on!!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Great pics @alp..love Kelvin and the Alstro especially.

I think most supermarkets now sell wonky veg after Jamie Oliver's campaign (a couple of years ago ) against the amount that was wasted each year because it didn't 'look right '.
It was shameful the amount we discarded......there are so many people starving around the world, and what do we have.....a huge compost pile!!!:(:cry:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rmarket-to-sell-wonky-veg-boxes-a6857856.html

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all lovely pics @alp
Yes it's the wet ground that kills dahlias. I used to dig them up and keep the soil on. Wrap them up in paper and store them upside down so they can drain from the stem.:)

Thank you for the kind words. The pics are a bit blurred, unfortunately, it's very hit and miss with my camera. Forget to put the electric blue Salvia Patens. I must have bought the seeds twice, the plant once and taken quite a lot of cuttings. Now I have about 3 or 6 plants (3 in a pot). Some plants are wilting now. We are very humid here. I had to change my tops so that I don't sweat so badly.

I don't have wet ground here. Mostly bone dry and that's why my dahlias are quite safe. I don't want fussy plants.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all

Thanks for the link @alp.

Yes I've tried that way too @Logan, that's the way my Mum over wintered hers. Still wasn't successful for me... I'm jinxed:). Our soil is clay based ....rock hard or soggy so it's a chance to take leaving tubers or bulbs in the ground. I lift summer bulbs and they store well....it's just Dahlias and me.......we don't get on!!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Great pics @alp..love Kelvin and the Alstro especially.

I think most supermarkets now sell wonky veg after Jamie Oliver's campaign (a couple of years ago ) against the amount that was wasted each year because it didn't 'look right '.
It was shameful the amount we discarded......there are so many people starving around the world, and what do we have.....a huge compost pile!!!:(:cry:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...rmarket-to-sell-wonky-veg-boxes-a6857856.html

I overwintered my begonia by leaving the tubers inside a 3L to 5L pot. No watering. You could top with with grit.

Don't worry too much. Try all 4 methods.

a dome on top
leave in a 3L pot, but no water inside an unheated and frost free greenhouse next to a wall,
dig up but keep a bit of the soil
6 inches of mulch or garden soil on top ..

That will be a nice experiment!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I don't mind wonky fruits such as misshapen strawberries, but the squashes do worry me a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
She certainly had a plugging overload :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Informative link though..many thanks @alp :)

That will be my winters mission ....to save at least one Dahlia!:)(y)

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps you can get your son to take the video and phone around manufacturers for endorsements! Hey, good idea to earn some extra dough!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Incidentally, my Bishop has come back, just one lone stem! Hurrah!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You know that every mention or placement in US films earns money! Yesterday, I heard Tom Hank mention Holiday Inn in Sleepless in Seattle! That probably was too early. But now, every mention earns the film producer dough!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Because the border was baking hot and dry! Are you humid your way? I was so hot just after 20 minutes of weeding. Used vinegar, but kept worried that the vinegar might not be powerful enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You know that every mention or placement in US films earns money! Yesterday, I heard Tom Hank mention Holiday Inn in Sleepless in Seattle! That probably was too early. But now, every mention earns the film producer dough!
Yes I know.......everything revolves around money....sadly. It doesn't bring happiness though, just glut and greed!

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday was very pleasant for me. We drove round and round and of course, bought something. Only when at 3pm when the weather felt humid.

Today, it started early. I was trying to get rid of the weeds in the front lawn. I learned that vinegar might work. Of course, it's a good idea to be organic. I do have a Resolva!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question