3: Gardening Diaries ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I thought that big rain cloud was coming this way but looks like its got stuck over BigC :p
Yep definitely stuck....somebody come and shift it please

Just looking through Parkers plant catalogue and I spotted Salvia (should have looked earlier in the season...(Amastad, Day Glow and Hot Lips) I prefer Amastad though...Buy 12 and get 6 FREE £19.98
Jumbo Plugs....is this worth considering or just buy a potted plant from the nursery.??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The card looks very good @Logan..you are getting a dab hand at this

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
BIgC: Savlias germinate like a dream. Most come out with 2 leaves and look dying in winter, but new shoots come up in Spring. Just lovely. Hotlips are very invasive. But if you want instant gardening, you can buy them. But I will suggest looking around at Hayloft, I paid £7 for 3 small plug Jeans Jewell from Unwins. Put an advert on Freegle or gumtree to see if any kind old lady will part with their Hotlips - they are rampant.

Been out the whole morning, It's baking here. I submerged pots inside water with some added feed and put out another fabric planter. Now we can't find the 3rd one and we are all very stressed. Every time the weather man said, sadly, there is not a heat wave, I feel like crying. I don't want a heat wave. I felt like swimming in my sweat and now it's just feel so nice to sit down and wind down for lunch!

The lovely Emma Louise
SAM_0500.JPG
SAM_0503.JPG

Oceanthus Concha

SAM_0504.JPG

Honey Lily
SAM_0505.JPG
SAM_0506.JPG

Salvia Hotlips
SAM_0507.JPG

SAM_0508.JPG

Blurred again

SAM_0509.JPG
SAM_0510.JPG

Quaking grass
SAM_0512.JPG

Centaurea cyanus

Attachments

• SAM_0511.JPG
    SAM_0511.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 150

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Boy, I was so embarrassed to find out my garden was full of the salvia/sage that you have just posted. But I am learning ..
Ah I see...not the same then

Hahahaha barring you sending me a small Amistad plant-let or seed @alp... I'll just pick up a plant from the GC...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Amistad a big plant 5-6ft at full size. I like saliva guaranitica black and blue as well, similar to amistad but blue instead of a purple. I haven't really grown any of the tender / hardish salvia but for amistad, I have been growning salvia nemorosa caradonna which a beauty, I've add mainacht this year which is similar. If I was you bigc buy a larger salvia if your wallet allows, you will have a better show this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Amistad a big plant 5-6ft at full size.
Wow I wasn't really aware that they get to that height and spread @Perki...I am not a flower gardener per se but rather a try'er lol...if it works well and good if it dont try again lol...6' would be a little too high I would imagine for whats needed around this place right now...I was thinking of things around 4' and less with plenty of show and colour..I'm pretty much devoid of colour this I need to address...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow I wasn't really aware that they get to that height and spread @Perki...I am not a flower gardener per se but rather a try'er lol...if it works well and good if it dont try again lol...6' would be a little too high I would imagine for whats needed around this place right now...I was thinking of things around 4' and less with plenty of show and colour..I'm pretty much devoid of colour this I need to address...

Keep pinching the top out, it will give a shorter / bushy plant. In my opinion they are a back of the border plant or a centre place in a large pot, either way it still a nice plant worth getting ;). I bought amistad last year August maybe in a 2 or 3 litre pot, it grow to about 3ft max.

Don’t no what happened there slight hiccup in the system posted twice ?
Doesn't matter double the pictures double the :):) . What is the dark red plant ? I can't quite make it out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
"A BBQ says she"..."Yeah I replied....It'd be nice" :sneaky:
Now that that's over
Lets just see if "The Old Ways" held any substance....It's a war out there!

SS Ash.jpg

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don’t no what happened there slight hiccup in the system posted twice ?
I don't mind seeing them again. What are those red flower please? That white clematis is so new. Nomacharis is very happy your way. I would never have thought they were the lily family. Such a delicate beauty. The back is interesting as well! The Sibirica is stunning. I bought two and one has died and the other one's nearly dying and no movement so far. I I have been watering, watering, dunking and dunking and I feel a drought is coming!

Folks, enjoy the weather next week as the whole of UK is cloudless except a blue blob in Eire! :cool::cool::cool: will be the order of the day!

You could go for shorter one, @BigC ! The Nachtvlinder and Royal Rumble (pure red) or Dyson's joy or pink Coccinea will fit your bill. Buy seeds when postage is free as they germinate very well. I had a Black and Blue last year, no prize guessing where it has gone!:cry:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question