2: Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all ..... December....... Christmas is nearly here!!!!

Posting off all my cards this morning......get them out of the way!!

Think we are now all set for the big day....... apart from the fresh foods of course. Decorations are waiting at the sidelines to be put up.....will probably do that on Monday........I can't bring myself to put them up until after what would have been my mum's birthday.
Also putting up my dad's too next week with help from my big sis.

Whatever you have..... Frosty..... Freezing.....or just plain old Flipping cold.......have a Fab Friday!:)(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Guess what? Didn't even notice that it is 1st of December today!

Thank you for pointing that out. One good thing, summer is one day nearer!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning to all, especially to Logan - Last year we didn't put up our Christmas tree as there was no way to get to the curtain with the dining table in the living room too. This year, we will .. Perhaps after we have tidied up the big bedroom. All the furniture is now in place, just getting rid of some stuff.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I see what you mean. Your boys are actually well trained. The previous owner had no flowers as dog just dug up everything and they built a very ugly raised bed so that their dog would wreak havoc .. When they left, I had a rose (beautiful one though), a Cryptomeria Japonica which has since died, tons of honeysuckle, some pyracanthas, one cotoneaster, one winter jasmine and that's more or less it.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I can understand about the last owner.
We don't let the boys out in the garden, that's why they go out a lot. When we moved here we didn't have a lot,it was very tall conifer trees in the back. Nice to look at but,no sun was getting through. They went and one in the front close to the front window. When they built these houses, they went mad planting trees. They've had to thin out the ones on the main road.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all , grey but not so nippy out there today:)

Gosh @ Logan!....don't know how you manage it !! My parents have always had dogs , so I grew up with them, never could have
kept them in the house as they all loved being out and mooching around the garden. Luckily my Dad has woods a short walk away and lakes also a large nature reserve ,but even with several long walks around them daily they all begged to go out into the garden.

Even now my dad's last remaining Labrador who is now 15 yrs old still waits to be let out. My dad makes me a little cross because he now leaves the back door open for her as she so loves to wander in and out and he can't keep getting up and down from his chair ............so he leaves the door open and the heating on!!!!!
Still wouldn't have it any other way......the two oldies are great company for each other :)(y)

Have a Wonderful Weekend everyone:)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Upsy Daisy when i was growing up, my parents always had our dogs inside and the cat. I think it's how we are brought up. If you could imagine having 2 goldies out in the garden and they come in all muddy.:)Also we did have 5.:) When they go for their walks, they're always on the lead:)Have a good day.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's quite warm here, and the sun is out. Went out to get some rice and got one @£10 for 10kg.

Got some plants as well, very pleased. Came home to find out that I missed a parcel yesterday! Such a nuisance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I can imagine the mud all too well @Logan !!!:eek:. My parents always had dogs in pairs !! :) Sadly now Dad is alone and is 92 the one he has now is the last of the line:( We had our cats and rabbits running free too, luckily they all got on well together......and more surprisingly none ever ended up in either of the ponds!!! It was a miracle! :D:ROFLMAO:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My dad makes me a little cross because he now leaves the back door open for her as she so loves to wander in and out and he can't keep getting up and down from his chair ............so he leaves the door open and the heating on!!!!!

I wonder it would be helpful to rig a curtain for the door...? In restaurants, they use a set of plastic strips across their cooler doors. Something like these:

th
th

Maybe a tension rod with some sort of curtain on it? It wouldn't need to be in strips. Old dogs can learn new tricks, it shouldn't be too hard for her to figure out how to nose it to the side. (y) It wouldn't be the same as a door, but at least some of the heat would stay inside!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @MaryMary, yes I have to admit he has been thinking along similar lines and we may look into something like that. I' m sure the old girl will have no problems coping with it(y)

She just loves laying outside...even in the frost:) She is one of those Labradors that have really thick, long ( ish) coats ( he also had a male one with the same type of coat a few years back). So I really think she doesn't feel the chill like the shorter haired ones that my parents have had in the past. It's just my poor dad......mind you he likes it hot...so most of the time it's quite tropical!!!!:D:ROFLMAO:

Ask a Question