Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
14 August 2019 Processing Garlic
Posted on August 14, 2019 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2019/August 2019/14 August 2019 Processing garlic/HTML/14 August 2019 Processing garlic
The garlic has been hanging in the shed and is quite dry so further processing can be done.
A few facts the largest bulbs are about 120 grams. Harvest is ideal IMO when the bulbs crack or break the outer skin, only a few of my bulbs reached that stage. I have found the cracked bulbs have identical shelf life compared to bulbs left whole, Also the cloves get slightly larger. The smallest bulbs are selected for seed in 2019 planted in October. I have found no relation to clove size influencing the size of the bulb. My bulbils are still drying and some will be plant later.
dsc_2136_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I'd have to disagree about clove size affecting bulb size.
Individual plants have differing genetic potential, and, since cloves saved & planted are clones of the bulbs, it follows that there is inherent genetic potential.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
If there is a difference in size it is marginal. I use to plant the largest cloves and some years I would be short so used the smaller types and noticed no major difference. Now I use bulbils, but sometimes the seed doesn't grow and produce a round.
I go to various shows featuring garlic and my efforts is as good if not better in many cases..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I would not, for a second doubt that, however, unlike many, I don't believe you'd be bound by "traditional ways" and you're obviously an accomplished grower, so comparing what you can do, with what others achieve, is not, for me, the litmus test.
The committee at the allotments had given up buying (for resale to members) autumn sown garlic until recently.

Ask a Question