Your Pets

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Logan, you gave Bracken many years of care, loving, and fun. We all miss pets who have died, but have the comfort of knowing how well they were cared for, and that they knew we were trained and eager to please!
We are currently owned by four cats--once feral kittens, now queens and lord of all they survey.
Cats.jpg

Only one missing is Timi, who was out doing whatever she wanted.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Logan, you gave Bracken many years of care, loving, and fun. We all miss pets who have died, but have the comfort of knowing how well they were cared for, and that they knew we were trained and eager to please!
We are currently owned by four cats--once feral kittens, now queens and lord of all they survey.
View attachment 31134
Only one missing is Timi, who was out doing whatever she wanted.

:D:D:D

@Logan Bracken was a one-off! Think he wants you to be happy ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My cats STINKS!!
20180113_074035.jpg

My wife discovered Brinie covered on her head and down her left side with the defecation of some larger creature. It is so rank it is horrid, though thankfully not a skunk. How does one best deep clean a cat? I suggested dawn degreaser added to the oatmeal pet soap which has obviously not done the job? And perhaps it was an Opossum or perhaps a Raccoon?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic, I've had cats for over twenty years, and never had a cat do that!! I've never heard of a cat doing that. :confused:

The oatmeal pet soap - is it specifically for cats? They use many chemicals in dog shampoos that are harmful, if not toxic for cats. Cats have very thin skin, and chemicals (natural or not,) are readily absorbed through the skin. :unsure:

My vet has told me to use only Dawn to give the cats a bath, and not to bother with any kind of pet shampoo. (I wouldn't feel safe using anything else.) Use a thicker concentration of it than you would for shampooing your hair, and lather the cat fully. Let it sit on the cat for as long as you can, rub the lather through that side over and over, but make sure you rinse it thoroughly!! (Is she a patient cat? :D )

If that doesn't work, please try to bear with it for at least three days before trying again. It'll give her body some time to replenish the oils to her skin.

I tried googling to see what else you might try, and the two things I was thinking of suggesting might not be safe. :(

-----------------------------
Edited to add - She's a beautiful cat. I'm a bit partial to black cats. ;) :)

0630001454Pretty.jpg

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@DirtMechanic i agree with Mary Mary don't bath her every day, it can take the natural oils out of the coat, even for dogs shouldn't bath them too much, It might go on it's own. In the UK we have trouble with fox poo, but our dogs don't seem to be bothered with it. One of our dogs used to eat horse poo, when it was fresh.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We have fox here, but it seems less likely she was chasing a fox than the other way round. Several times I have been standing quietly on my lawn at night when a fox came tippy toeing past. They have a dainty but fast gait. When I greet them they shy away embarassed by their lack of awareness.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
We have fox here, but it seems less likely she was chasing a fox than the other way round. Several times I have been standing quietly on my lawn at night when a fox came tippy toeing past. They have a dainty but fast gait. When I greet them they shy away embarassed by their lack of awareness.
She could have rolled in the fox poo.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Dawn only?

That's what my vet said. (y) I use the regular variety. I took a quick look around google, and it seems that's the one most sites agree on. Fancy soaps for sale everywhere, :rolleyes: but if you're looking for what's safe, inexpensive, and readily to hand...?

I did find this, and it might be an option. Vinegar has such a strong smell, it might help to overpower the poo. I'd still call the vet and ask. I like that they put glycerin in it, but then I've never tried this, and I am likely to go with what I know. :unsure:

Alternative Cat Shampoo
If you're brave enough to attempt bathing your cat, try the following shampoo recipe.
  • 1 quart of warm water
  • 1/3 cup Apple cider vinegar
  • 1/3 vegetable glycerin
http://cats.lovetoknow.com/make-homemade-cat-shampoo

There is no accounting for tastes.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Now, that's funny!!

I'm still amazed that she rolled in anything. That's a dog trick. :cautious: :LOL:

Is she a young cat? She looks young. She has that lanky, teenage look to her. :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I decided that I would tell you guys a bit about Dunder today. :)

Dunder is actually short for Dunderhead. :LOL:

He likes to sit in flowerpots. :rolleyes:

0703041311.jpg

Every time I go outside, he is my constant companion. :love:

0417171354bDunder.jpg

I did not see this (How I wish I had!!) but I will tell you a story. ;)

When he was about 4 months old, he brought home a prize. Cats like to bring presents to their people, and our Dunderhead is no exception. This is the only trophy he has ever brought home, and Oh! How proud he was!! :joyful: Such a big prize, it was hard for him to carry, but carry it he did!!

My boyfriend spotted him at the far end of the back walk that leads to the garage. He knew he was carrying something home, and as Dunder got closer, he could see the tail hanging down. A mouse! Yay!! Our boy caught a mouse! What a good kitty!! :love:

Except... it was too big. It stuck out of his mouth too far. The sheer weight of it seemed to pull his head down a bit. Was it... a rat? :confused: And why would a rat have squared edges? o_O

My boyfriend called him. This spurred Dunder on. Head held high, he completed his mission, carrying his unwieldy trophy home. You could see in his carriage how pleased with himself he was. :happy:

It was a mouse. And it was dead.

He found it.

It was in a mousetrap.
smack.gif

Ask a Question