Top Household Plants That Are Toxic For Pets...

Reaction score
I looked up on the internet and came by a list of the worst household plants that are extremely toxic to your fur-babies.
If you own a cat or dog, please keep these plants away from them.

LILIES
ASPARAGUS FERN
CORN PLANT
DIEFFENBACHIA
ELEPHANT EAR
CYCLAMEN
HEARTLEAF PHILODENDRON
JADE PLANT
ALOE PLANT
SATIN POTHOS

Reaction score
As there tends to be a bit of variation between what plants are toxic to cats to that of what is toxic to dogs - I would just add that for cats - that when mentioning lilies - that means any plant that belongs to the Lily family is highly toxic to them and includes such plants as

The Peace Lily
Calla or Arum Lilies
Asiatic or Easter Lilies
Amaryllis - even though it is not a true member of the lily family
as well as many more

As there are so many different plant varieties that can be extremely harmful to pets and as the symptoms of poisoning don't show up instantly and often go undetected for some considerable time before they start to show - so much so - that by the time they do - it is often too late - it is always best to check that any plants you have or are thinking of having either in your house or growing in your garden - will not put your pet at risk or endanger their lives.

Which although this can be very easily done by checking the individual toxic plant lists for cats and dogs online - I am in order to make life easier including a very good reliable link here

https://user.xmission.com/~emailbox/plants.htm

I would however just add that being a cat owner the plants listed in the above link - only applies to cats and not dogs - the latter of which - maybe someone familiar with dogs would be happy to supply - as the list of plants would be different.

Reaction score
Thanks for making this thread Angel, and for everyone for posting those useful links and information. I have two kitties, who naturally love to chew on greenery, and I would hate to inadvertently bring anything into my home that would be dangerous to them. I especially love lilies, so I'm glad I'm aware of their toxicity now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the list angel and thanks to gata montes for more information. Most people think house plants are relatively benign but they in fact can cause a great deal of harm to their pets.

Reaction score
Don't forget about the kalanchoes, those are very toxic to doggies, and I guess to cats as well. There are far too many toxic plants out there :(

Ask a Question