Your Pets

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Being a dog-fanatic, I was curious what sorts of pets and animals you all might have! Does anyone participate in dog sports? Showing?

I work as a Dog Trainer and Doggie Day Care Attendant here in Colorado. I show my Silken Windhounds in Conformation (UKC) and also dabble in dog sports: nosework, lure coursing, agility, barn hunt...to name a few! I'm also a canine fitness and conditioning advocate - huge into animal nutrition! In the past, I have done competition Dog Sledding (Siberian Huskies) and worked as a Dog Sled tour guide. I've worked with horses as well, though I was fairly young and much of the practices have been lost on me! :p

In any case...bring on the barrage of pet photos!

Here are my two Silken Windhounds, Juju and Iki.

ykW56XS.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a collie that is white with brown spots, a cat, a red eared slider turtle, a crested gecko, a leopard gecko, and a bearded dragon (currently not home so i can't post any pictures)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They are beautiful! :)

The only pets we have are goldfish in the pond. I'd love to get a dog one day in the future though!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No dogs, but I do have a cat.
IMG_0113 copy1.jpg

IMG_0114 copy.jpg

Over the years I've also had a Cockatiel, two Green Anoles, two Ball Pythons, and a dog. The bird was nice, but I won't lie, it's nice not hearing tweeting anymore. The lizards and snakes were great, but I realized I prefer to see wild reptiles in nature rather than owning some, and dogs require more attention than I'm willing to give. When it comes down to it, cats are my kind of animal. Easy to care for.

I also have the goldfish in the pond, but I don't really consider them to be pets. Other than feeding them and making sure the water quality is good, they pretty much do their own thing and go about their lives on their own. They're basically as wild as the wild frogs that live out there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
My husband just got us a min pin puppy, Cleo! :love: she's the cutest thing.

BTW Does anyone have any suggestions if I should Spay her? Is this a good idea?

There are a lot of pros and cons to both - but definitely wait until her growth plates close (about a year) before spaying to give her a chance to use those beneficial growth hormones. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about that! Also, she's ADORABLE!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Oh Boy....

1 Dog (the dog in the avatar, daughter made the hat)
1 Cat
1 Rabbit
* 2 Fish tanks (1 salt and 1 fresh)
* 2 Bearded Dragon Lizards
* 1 Misc Lizard (just noticed this new addition the other day)
* 1 Corn Snake
* 7 Birds
Birds included a Blue & Gold Macaw, Red Headed Amazon Parrot, Indian Ring Neck Parrot (quite the talker this one is) and others...
* These are all my adult daughters pets, and thankfully she takes care of them, quite well I might add. My wife and I (mostly my wife) take care of them on occasion when she is gone. Daughter is out of town at the moment and wife had her hands full (literally) with bearded dragons yesterday.

We recently lost one of our dogs, she had to be put down :(, that dog had competed in agility. I still love her and miss her very, very much. I think about her most every day. We had a bond. We also have a turtle on the run somewhere in the backyard.

Love animals :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
In the past we have been owned and trained by two dogs and a cat. The first dog was a St. Bernard/Golden Retriever mix, and although he was a male, he had so much maternal instinct that he adopted kittens, old arthritic dogs, and small children. Our second was a St.Bernard/Collie mix who was a "me" dog. He wanted to be cared for and catered to, wishes we were happy to accommodate.
Just over a year ago we had to have Feliz, our 14 year old Calico cat put to sleep because of an incurable disease. I still miss her. She was the sweetest, smartest, and most lovable cat imaginable, with personality and cute quirks. She was also beautiful. She particularly liked resting in the bottom drawer of my dresser, where the soft sweatshirts were!
10-9 002.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My husband just got us a min pin puppy, Cleo! :love: she's the cutest thing.

Oh my goodness, she is adorable!!

@Greenhorn that's quite a zoo, I hope you charge admission! :D Sorry to hear about the recent passing of your dog, I guess that's the great sadness about having pets - they don't live as long as we do. Well, apart from your rogue turtle that is ;)

In the past we have been owned and trained by two dogs and a cat.

:LOL:

Feliz is beautiful, sorry to hear she is no longer around :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a cat fish in a tank by him self, 1 old red lored Amazon parrot named Red and a very lazy Chihuahua named Fern.
Becky, I've been told that my parrot could live to be over 100, I think she just may out live me :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have to say this: I really like dogs. I also have to say this: after foster parenting a couple of cats, then adopting another, I can appreciate some cats. My current cat likes to scratch up seedlings, so last year, I went medieval with my defense. Well, to me it seemed like a medieval solution (I'm an American history buff, which, I realize, to much of the world isn't that impressive, so I really have to stretch when I try to think of how people might have handled defenses in the olden days). Anyway, my "medieval" solution worked. (And I do recognize that my spelling of "medieval" is quite new school, but anyone who doesn't pronounce "pasta" as pah-sta should not judge me. Glass houses and all that.) :LOL:
cat_proofing_1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my boys, Thompson and Kirby both GSDs received obedience titles are in heaven now. miss then much. Have cats now. somehow a feral cat entered our property, and long story short, we have/had up to 12 kittens, placed many. But now down to 4. of which they are handable, excluding the mom cat. Live goes on. Not sure I want to again get another GSD puppy, lots of work to get it socialized and well trained. But for now, my cats are well and follow me everywhere around the gardens. just two shots Twitches and Teddy.
Twitches.jpg
100_0259.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
OH, Esther, your photos make me want to get a another cat, but I'm afraid I'd expect any cat to be another Feliz, and that just wouldn't work. Perhaps after another year . . . .
I'm so glad you have your Twitches and Teddy, and that they have you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Sorry for the loss of your Fritz @marlingardener

Besides Teddy and Twiches, we have Sissy girl, and MomCat . All cats are about 13 years old. MomCat maybe 15. MomCat is the feral I mentioned earlier, she has learned that inside the house is not so bad. But her daughter Sissy girl still will have none of it, she likes her heated cat house outside. Teddy is her son as well as the two that passed away in January. Twitches is a stray that wandered in and managed to work his way nicely in the group. He has been with us about 5 years now.

We lost two fur babies Phantom and Panther just this January. It still is hard not to see them around. Phantom in the fore ground and Panther behind. One big thing about them, they were always together in the gardens.
always together..jpg

My husband will mention how quiet it is here. Surprisingly how two losses can effect the environment of commotion.

Last edited:

Ask a Question