Your day apart from gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
And, I get it, different baked goods. I would also like to cook such biscotti for the New Year's holiday.
Isn't it very difficult?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
And, I get it, different baked goods. I would also like to cook such biscotti for the New Year's holiday.
Isn't it very difficult?
Well, I don't think its difficult, but your asking someone who has been baking and cooking for 56 years. Its a two step baking process. I would You Tube it, see if there is a tutorial out there. Make sure you have all the correct ingredients before you start.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Larisa , recently discovered "SAVORY" biscotti. googled about to find several recipes on it. I love Savory things. These are made in the same process, but using things like rosemary, thyme, different cheeses, dried tomatoes, and nuts. One uses pistashios . Like the idea of the pistashios with the dried tomatoes as Christmas colors. So will be exploring these. They go with soups etc. I am gather cream soups, or simple ones, like carrot soup, not a hardy stand up soup. Or nice in a basket with cheeses, etc. There was one made with goat cheese, and herb ala France , rather like the taste combo of that also. Can't believe after all these years never had any. But when I watch cooking shows there sure is lots of "new" ideas out there.

We went the other night to a place called Tinseltown, full of over the top lighted ornaments. And little huts of things for sale and foods. Thank goodness my "things for sale need" is gone, have enough "stuff". https://www.tinseltownholiday.com/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@Esther Knapicius, I really want to make this, thanks for inspiring me. I found detailed recipes and I think I can repeat that when the Christmas break starts. Here it is from January 1. 10 days of calm creativity in the kitchen.
These will be my days "apart from gardening". :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius, I really want to make this, thanks for inspiring me. I found detailed recipes and I think I can repeat that when the Christmas break starts. Here it is from January 1. 10 days of calm creativity in the kitchen.
These will be my days "apart from gardening". :)
Looking forward to seeing what you produce. Have fun. Have some goat cheese now, so maybe this week will do a savory one, have to set out enough butter to soften.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thanks! :) If it doesn't look very bad, I'll share.

@Larisa, had these pics on my cell. The first is the raw dough. I spoon it out on parchment paper, then using WET hands I gently push it into the shape you see. It calls for 2 inches high, and about 12 inches long. Then it is baked. The second one is the baked product. Let it cool about 10 mins. Then slice them and half them, put back in oven, same temp. to toast on sides,5-8 mins a side..
20211217_123605.jpg
20211217_131852.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thanks, I copied for myself! This is valuable advice for me.
the texture of the raw dough is like a lump of soft clay, but of course sticky. I had in the past tried forming it using wax paper to roll it right, but found the wet hands method works better /faster. Just put your hands under running water, what ever water sticks to your hands that is what you use to pat it into shape, its awesome that little layer of water keeps the dough from sticking to your hands. And don't worry if drops of water is left on the dough, not an issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I understand! I don't bake often, unfortunately, so I don't know all the nuances. Thank you! :)
I have been watching on Netflix the British bake off contests, many new approaches for me still. always learning. When I started cooking/baking at 13, I'd just sit with the cookbook and read it, thinking of the steps etc. We did not have so many cooking shows then as we do today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My wife had a small accident last night, nothing serious, she lost her balance when taking something out of the new cupboard I built in the kitchen and grabbed the door.

This stopped her from falling but ripped the lower hinge out of the carcass. Fortunately, she wasn't hurt and the top hinge stopped the door falling off and injuring her.

No problem. I had some wood filler and filled the two holes where the hinge had been yanked out, which dried over-night.
As it's a heavy door I decided I'd fit a third Blum soft-close hinge in the middle of the door.
It was important that all the hinges were the same type, as there are different ones.

Phoned Travis Perkins... They don't sell them.

Phoned Atlantic Timber in Altrincham. "Yes we've got them."

Drove to Atlantic Timber. "No they haven't!"

Went to Tool Station nearby.

Fortunately, after several attempts, they found the right ones (had to buy a pair).

Got home and found the pack didn't include the two pairs of special screws that attach the carcass half of the hinge. Fortunately, I had two that would do, from an old Blum hinge.

Because doors are heavy as they are often are made of laminated MDF and are attached to laminated chipboard carcasses only 18mm thick, normal screws won't hold. You have to drill a shallow 4mm hole and then use these special screws which are more like bolts.

I also had to drill the big shallow hole in the door with a special drill bit I have, to take the other half of the hinge.
That's always stressful as it it finishes only about 3mm from the outside. One slip and you'd be through.

Then I just had to put the door back. Difficult on your own, (not because I'm nearly 82). Sadly the only assistance my willing wife can give in these situations, is to offer "advice." (Don't need any of that!)
I had to put a pile of books on the bit of the breakfast bar in front of the cupboard and balance the door on it, whilst standing on a step stool, connect the top hinge and mark on the carcass where the screws for the new hinge needed to go. Then just drill the new holes for it and the lower hinge.

I like Blum hinges as they are "quick release." If you ever need to take off a door, there's a little sprung catch on the end of the arm of the door side part of the hinge, that you can pull and the hinge comes off. To replace it you just offer it up and press the arm and it locks back on.
Also there's an adjustment on the hinge arm to move the door either slightly closer or further away from the carcass and another for slightly left or right. So you can get, to use a motor body term, the "cut line" (the gap between the doors of the two cupboards, equal top and bottom).
The carcass part of the hinge allows you to move the door slightly either up or down.

Job done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Least favourite job today.

This kitchen is fourteen years old.
About once a year, the pedestal tap over the sink now starts to work a bit loose. It just means the whole assembly turns slightly from side to side. As the water supply is by flexible hoses, it's not a big problem. It's more irritating than anything else. Although I have some concerns that if it gets any more loose, some water might get between the body of the tap and the laminate and into the chipboard.
But it's not an easy fix.
I have to remove both drawers (note, I can't do this when the washing machine is working as you'll see I have to open its door to get the drawers out, we usually leave the door open when it's not in use anyway, as it lets the interior dry out), then lie on my back with head and shoulders inside the cabinet (on a cushion as the front edge of the bottom of the cabinet makes it uncomfortable), then use a socket on the end of a long extension and a ratchet arm on the end of that. I have to find the nut by feel, as it's behind the sink and the water connections right in the corner of the cabinet. Then it's trial and error as to how tight I need it, before the tap won't move at all. So I'm up and down a few times.

Anyway, job done!

P1040865.JPG

Ask a Question