Yellowing apple tree leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good evening my first post here other than my introduction. This spring I planted 6 apple trees all semi dwarf. 2 Roxbury russet, winesap, honeycrisp, cortland, and hunt russet. All have nice new growth finished flowering and have some apples (that I’m going to thin). My “soil” is clay. I Made holes extra big and mixed some garden soil with some perlite to aide in drainage. One Roxbury russet has yellowing leaves and one doesn’t. Before i go and dig the tree up and move it I’d like some advice. I have Been watering consistently being they are newly planted about a month. Once I noticed the leaves yellowing I slowed down on the watering wich was pretty much everyday for a few minutes. The dirt doesn’t seem over saturated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here’s a picture of a leaf

Attachments

• CE023D0F-3E24-4409-8F93-467E1C3800C9.jpeg
    CE023D0F-3E24-4409-8F93-467E1C3800C9.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I'm in the same boat so I'll watch this thread. 1 of the 4 that I planted is doing this. Mine is a Candy Crisp the others are McIntosh, Cortland, and Wolf River. The Fireside and Honey Crisp I planted last year look great.

I'm not worried about mine and will not dig it and shock it that way. But my dead Queen Ann cherry is getting removed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yellowing leaves can usually be traced to three things, over watering , under watering, or a viral infection. Stick your finger in the ground by the base of the tree, if your finger comes out moist don’t water it, if your finger comes out dry then water it. Check your trees like this a couple times a week. If your tree has sufficient water spray it once or twice with Eagle 20 ER a systemic fungacide every ten days for two sprayings, then switch to a fungicide like Denical. Also it’s not unusual for a newly planted tree to get some yellow leaves, it’s part of the transplant shock.
Good Luck,
Paul

Ask a Question