Alocasia Yellowing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please help! I’be struggled caring for alocasias, and this is currently my 3rd and my 2nd elephant ear I’ve had. My last elephant ear rotted. Like the bulb was literal mush by the time it officially died. The soil didn’t seem to be draining well so I said bye bye to it, put the dirt in my dog’s digging hole, and got this lovely Alocasia California odora in the mail. I’ve not even had it for two weeks and watered maybe twice and the leaf has started extreme yellowing!!! I live in CO, so very dry climate, but I run my humidifier often, and my other tropical plants have all done very well. Please help!

Attachments

• 846A0871-0964-4966-ABA9-6D0F839BF9D5.jpeg
    846A0871-0964-4966-ABA9-6D0F839BF9D5.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 50
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Alocasia are a true tropical and I haven’t had success with them either. They appear to do best in Florida homes or indoor grow houses. it’s always fun to try though.

Yours has a few challenges going for it. My experiences with mail order houseplants is their roots get stressed/cold damaged/rot/die even if their leaves look good, with the quickest shipment and heat packs. I have learned to place mail ordered house plants in a plastic bag and place the on a heating mat for plants (cheap ones on Amazon). Given time I open the plastic but keep them in the bag for added humidity. Depending on the plant, time of year, and how I feel it is doing it may spend months like this until I feel it will survive in my home. During the winter and cooler parts of the house I keep some plants on heat mats because they don’t like temperatures in the 60s.

Unless you have a humidifier right by your alocasia going most of the time it probably isn’t getting enough humidity because of your dry climate. Don’t know if any of this helps, but good luck.

Ask a Question