yellow summer sqaush

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm still new to gardening and welcome any and all advice. I have several sqaush plants growing very big. The sqaush it produces are pretty small. We've got about 15 this year. It seems like the plants are slowing down now. Some of the leaves are getting brown and dried out. We are watering them regularly. Is it possible they are getting to much sun? Now that the plants are bigger some of the sqaush are laying on the ground when they grow. Is this OK? Or should I get some type of support for them? I'm eager to learn sorry for all the questions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
They can definitely be on the ground, no problem with that unless you have really heave rain in which case you might have a few rot. As far as the leaves, they are usually pretty hardy, so I doubt it is the sun... it could just be they are nearing the end of their time in your zone. It is hard to say if 15 is a good harvest without knowing how big of an area the plants cover. A lot of summer squash type plants are not really good for gardening because they take a big area of ground with low yield per square foot, but they are also easy to grow in otherwise unfarmable spots.

Ask a Question