Yellow Mammillaria Elongata

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

So I'm experiencing a bit of an issue with my Mammillaria Elongata Cactus. I've had this cactus for about a month and recently, it's starting to turn yellow. I have my cactus by the windowsill and water it once a week. So I'm not sure what the issue is. Any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Way too much water, cacti don't need watering anywhere near as much as other houseplants ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It needs to have good drainage so that when you water it the excess can drain freely. You should allow the soil to be almost dry between watering, and water it less frequently over winter (let the soil dry out completely between watering). How much water to give it and how often will depend on what the conditions are like where it is situated, so you'll have to experiment a little and use your judgement :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
you can stop watering from October till April a cactus with dry feet can live for years but keep them wet and they can be dead in weeks;)............welcome to the forum caraann I hope your cactus makes a recovery If the pot is not draining you will need to repot with a good Gritty soil & free draining Pot. Cactus compost can be made at home If you have the ingredients to make .........1 part compost 1 part loam(soil) 1 part sand & one part grit (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone! I'll do my best to water it less. Here's what my cactus currently looks like.

Attachments

• 20180926_124226(0).jpg
    20180926_124226(0).jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 212
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
One of our sons use to grow a variety of cactus back during his childhood days.....between us we all forgot to water them:shame:. Miraculously they survived for years!!:D(y)

So definitely a case of ' less is best ':)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the help! I've left in near the window but not in the direct light and I won't water it as much!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It needs to have good drainage so that when you water it the excess can drain freely. You should allow the soil to be almost dry between watering, and water it less frequently over winter (let the soil dry out completely between watering). How much water to give it and how often will depend on what the conditions are like where it is situated, so you'll have to experiment a little and use your judgement :)
The cactus has gotten even worse. More leaves are turning a yellow/brown colour and they've started to shrivel up - don't know what to do!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear that! How does the soil feel - is it damp or dry? And what is the temperature like where it is situated?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You could try giving it a little water - after all, it has been warm in the UK recently. Plus they're meant to like full sun, so maybe try finding a south-facing window sill for it :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You could try giving it a little water - after all, it has been warm in the UK recently. Plus they're meant to like full sun, so maybe try finding a south-facing window sill for it :)
I've watered it! That's a little difficult as I live in student accommodation and all the windows are North facing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've watered it! That's a little difficult as I live in student accommodation and all the windows are North facing.

That's a shame, but at least it'll be getting indirect light. Let us know how it goes!

Ask a Question