Would you re-pot this jade plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm concerned that this established jade isn't looking quite as healthy as it used to. If it was yours, would you replant in larger container? For scale, current pot is 9" dia., jade is about 22" tall with 2" dia trunk thickness. About 10 years old, lives indoors 8 months, outdoors the rest, northern IL.
IMG_6162.JPG
Root bound perhaps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I might. if just to be sure it won't tip over, they don't like it too wet which keeps the pot heavy but they are notoriously unfussy about what they grow in.
If it were mine I would probably stick a couple of leaves in a pot of earth, they root quite readily, as a back up just in case. You can always give them away if unwanted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
All you need to do is put fresh cactus mix UNDER the existing rootball. Just pop it out, put in the mix and pop it right back in. No root disturbance, no stress, just more room for roots!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm concerned that this established jade isn't looking quite as healthy as it used to. If it was yours, would you replant in larger container?
Yes, it looks to me like it could use a larger container and is very likely root bound.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely plant :)

Just repotted ours today...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those plants do best with compact roots in small containers. If you increase the water volume with a bigger pot during transplant you will harm the plant. Its best to keep the same size pot so they can maintain the same water volume. Gently tip the plant out after watering and remove some of the old soil but not all and replace it with the new original soil the plant is started in.

Ask a Question