Working in the Rain

Reaction score
Do you garden in the rain? I find it so much easier to weed when it is raining. They just come right out of the ground. It is also easier to dig and do all kind of work because the ground is soft.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in Washington and so you have to enjoy doing some things in the rain or you would never get anything done. It can be a little refreshing to go outside and work in the garden with little droplets of water hitting your face. I really enjoy the smells outside when it rains.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I try to keep off the plot in the rain, it's not good for the soil structure if you walk on it in the rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't work in my garden when it's raining. I just walk, breathe deeply and look around in awe. Or I put on my rain boots and run to the nearest park to splash water in puddles, haha:D:cool: I love rain!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I only work in the rain when I first start setting up a garden. It makes it easier to dig into the soil and set it up. Once the rain stops, I wait for it to partially dry, then plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Yes. The soil is much softer, so it's easier to remove weeds and other unwanted plants in the garden. I do not try to plant anything new though. LOL

Reaction score
I try to keep off the plot in the rain, it's not good for the soil structure if you walk on it in the rain.
I hadn't thought of that. I suppose it would definitely squish things much more if you are walking on your cultivated areas. I generally am not stepping anywhere that the plants would be planted, just on the little pathways between them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I also love gardening in the rain! If it rains it is almost guaranteed you can find me outside after! I agree it is so much easier to weed when the ground is wet and it is the best time for me to pick some worms for my husband and sons fishing trips :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That comment makes since about not walking on the soil in the rain. This is a good time not to be in the garden. Give the earth a chance to bond with the rain that it needs. Why the plot that your garden is on.

Reaction score
Working in the rain is something i wish i could do unfortunately as soon as a few drops of rain comes in contact with me it's a sure thing a terrible cold will be coming my way..so i try to stay out of the rain as much as i can.

Ask a Question