Winter Rye between rows?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a small garden with some decent space between rows and areas of plants growing:
Will planting winter rye between rows be beneficial
Also can it be maintained by “mowing”

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, it is beneficial and yes it can be mowed adding excellent organic matter to your soil. The benefits include
  • Weed control
  • Fertilization
  • Protection for your garden soil in winter

Winter rye has allelopathic qualities that enhance its weed control effectiveness. Sow it thick for best results. Turn it under while green for the fertilization effects of green manure. Nature hates a vacuum and bare soil in your garden is never a good thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, it is beneficial and yes it can be mowed adding excellent organic matter to your soil. The benefits include
  • Weed control
  • Fertilization
  • Protection for your garden soil in winter

Winter rye has allelopathic qualities that enhance its weed control effectiveness. Sow it thick for best results. Turn it under while green for the fertilization effects of green manure. Nature hates a vacuum and bare soil in your garden is never a good thing.
We used to use marsh hay but its been unavailable for years now.
I have plenty of seed so I figured I would plant in rows and in used areas and plow it in fall or next spring.

Ask a Question