Winter growing pepper plant - prune or leave alone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Located in Calabasas - Zone 9/10a.

Green thumbs aside, have never intentionally been able to grow peppers through the Winter season. This particular pepper plant - Hungarian Wax - just doesn't seem to mind. 😊

I had one of those by accident. Mine was supposed to be a sweet banana pepper. It didn't take long to realize it was not a sweet pepper. It was very productive. I did not prune that pepper either.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From what I've read, this pepper is sweet when very young and green, and as it grows it gets hotter as the colour changes. Usually harvested as it turns yellow, it is very very hot evidently when it gets to red :eek: I think Hungarian wax might be the same as banana pepper, so the sweet to hot bit would apply to that as well :unsure:? I suppose it would resemble a banana when yellow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've found Hungarian pepper plants to be very happy to grow, certainly do better than any others I've tried. They also seem very productive but the downside is they get heavy and break.

There's hot and sweet varieties unfortunately you won't know what until you eat them. Momma learned that lesson a few years ago when we had both. She didn't separate them when picking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
In that case, and for the simple gardening community, it might be just as well to write what you mean and not waffle on about stuff that's supposed to sound awfully awfully clever 🥴
I am not bragging, because facts are not bragging, but I just cannot resist pointing out that my comments attract the most intelligent women.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've found Hungarian pepper plants to be very happy to grow, certainly do better than any others I've tried. They also seem very productive but the downside is they get heavy and break.

There's hot and sweet varieties unfortunately you won't know what until you eat them. Momma learned that lesson a few years ago when we had both. She didn't separate them when picking.
This is a hot variety. 😊

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you know what you planted then all good.

We did know what was planted, in separate locations even. But, momma wasn't paying attention and put them in the same basket. We (I) had to sample and sort them for canning.

Ask a Question