Winter growing pepper plant - prune or leave alone

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
This was a total fluke, an unexpected event . . . have a pepper plant (started from seed) that s actually growing fine in front of an Eastern-facing wall.

It has a few peppers and flowers on it, not sure if it should be pruned or left alone.

Ideas/suggestions appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've never pruned any of my peppers. I put tomato cages around mine so that may make a difference. I do have an occasional branch break off due to the weight of bell peppers.

You must be in a pretty warm climate to have flowers on it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was a total fluke, an unexpected event . . . have a pepper plant (started from seed) that s actually growing fine in front of an Eastern-facing wall.

It has a few peppers and flowers on it, not sure if it should be pruned or left alone.

I can't even keep my pepper plants alive and thriving in the summer, so how did you manage this? I would leave well alone if I were you and continue the way you started.
What bit of the USA do you live in? It's actually always helpful to stick that info on your
profile !! I reckon you definitely have green fingers!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
“All of humanity's problems,” Blaise Pascal said in 1654, “stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”

Yes, but " Pascalian theology has grown out of his perspective that humans are, according to Wood, "born into a duplicitous world that shapes us into duplicitous subjects and so we find it easy to reject God continually and deceive ourselves about our own sinfulness"

So how will that relate to the pepper being outside in the winter? :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

I've overwintered peppers before, they are perennials but need frost protection in the UK. They drop flowers and fruits if they can't support them so I'd leave it to get on with it :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've overwintered peppers before, they are perennials but need frost protection in the UK. They drop flowers and fruits if they can't support them so I'd leave it to get on with it :)
You can grow the next ones then mate. I'll stick with the tomatoes. 🥱

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't think I'd do much more than normal maintenance. Give it support and trim off low leaves and branches.

I've found random plants tend to be quite hardy and tend to let them go on their own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, but " Pascalian theology has grown out of his perspective that humans are, according to Wood, "born into a duplicitous world that shapes us into duplicitous subjects and so we find it easy to reject God continually and deceive ourselves about our own sinfulness"

So how will that relate to the pepper being outside in the winter? :)
Obviously the weatherperson is a duplicitious liar.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I've never pruned any of my peppers. I put tomato cages around mine so that may make a difference. I do have an occasional branch break off due to the weight of bell peppers.

You must be in a pretty warm climate to have flowers on it.
Yes. Zones 9/10a (Calabasas, Ca) gets very warm during the Summer/Fall season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I can't even keep my pepper plants alive and thriving in the summer, so how did you manage this? I would leave well alone if I were you and continue the way you started.
What bit of the USA do you live in? It's actually always helpful to stick that info on your
profile !! I reckon you definitely have green fingers!
Located in Calabasas - Zone 9/10a.

Green thumbs aside, have never intentionally been able to grow peppers through the Winter season. This particular pepper plant - Hungarian Wax - just doesn't seem to mind. 😊

Ask a Question