Which variety of ground cover would work for me?

Reaction score
The front of our home has a series of bushes across the front, and that awful dyed red mulch. I've taken the red mulch out, and would like to put some ground cover there because our dogs walk through it and I don't want them tramping through mud.

Here are my criteria, what ground cover would fit this?

- fast spreading
- alive year round
- low-laying and tough, but not too tough or prickly on dog's paws
- likes shade
- would be suited in a mid-atlantic climate

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Consider Vinca minor. It meets all your requirements except it doesn't spread that fast. You might have to plant it more closely to get it to fill in quickly.

I think you nailed it. Found this video on Periwinkle and it sounds exactly like what we need:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ajuga (Bugleweed) is an evergreen ground cover with blue flowers in spring. Athryium (Japanese Painted fern has soft gray accented by silver and dark maroon. A plus that deer stay away from this fern, if that's a problem for you. Heuchera (Coral Bells) has tall bell-shaped flowers. Valium ordoratum (Sweet Woodruff) is very fast spreading and works well is shade. It's also another that is deer proof as well as rabbit proof.

Ask a Question