Tomato variety suggestions ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi,

I recently planted a San Marzano plant and am not thrilled by the intensity of flavor. The ones I get from my plant are just a bit more flavorful than the store-bought Romas. I was expecting them to be more intense than what I'm seeing.

Meanwhile a Black Prince that I also planted at the same time has very good flavor.

Can someone suggest varieties that would make a good tomato for sauces and pizza toppings. I am looking for deep sweet, tart flavors that can hold on a margerita pizza without need for sauce.

Thanks,
Norm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
medium
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tried any of these, Norm -

Bonnie Original, Big Beef, Red Beefsteak heirloom, Better Boy or the Cherokee Purple

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
A further thought; it's possible that your San Marzano tomatoes are bland because you've previously given them too much water. Cut it right back and see what happens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Norm, try planting Romas. The ones from the grocery were picked unripe, and spent time being shipped and then on the produce shelf.
I agree about your assessment of the flavorful than the store-bought Romas. We planted our own Romas, and were amazed at the difference of flavor when the tomatoes ripened on the vine in our garden, rather than spending time in a truck!
We are currently sun-drying Romas since we had a bumper crop this year--lots canned, some frozen, and now we are making sun-dried tomatoes, tomato basil butter, and enough marinara sauce to feed a small Italian village!
tomatoes drying.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Norm, try planting Romas. The ones from the grocery were picked unripe, and spent time being shipped and then on the produce shelf.
I agree about your assessment of the flavorful than the store-bought Romas. We planted our own Romas, and were amazed at the difference of flavor when the tomatoes ripened on the vine in our garden, rather than spending time in a truck!
We are currently sun-drying Romas since we had a bumper crop this year--lots canned, some frozen, and now we are making sun-dried tomatoes, tomato basil butter, and enough marinara sauce to feed a small Italian village!
View attachment 24839
I really envy your set-up for drying tomatoes; I just wish that we got a bit of guaranteed sunshine, (even a week) so that it was useful in our climate, as I love sun-dried tomatoes, with or without balsamic vinegar.
Still, I content myself in the knowledge that there's lots will grow here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
San Marzano tomatoes are excellent, so I feel it's down to water again.
Your other tomato plant couldn't take up water because of root rot, and the lack of water led to delicious tomatoes, right?
So the problem was too much water, yet you said your SM plant was doing ok under that watering regime?
I seriously think that your SM tomatoes are bland because the plant didn't suffer and was able to take up so much water.
Now that you've cut back, I'd expect to see a big improvement in flavour.

Ask a Question