Outdoor Hibiscus in Toronto Canada: Starry Starry Night variety

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We planted the Starry Starry Night hibiscus last summer, it has yielded beautiful flowers. After the long winter, the stems are dead to the ground - photos attached; should I trim the dead stems?Is this plant going to recover?
Thanks for the answer

20180503_074033.jpg
IMG_20170810_183637641.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You should have mulch it before winter as the mulch might insulate the plant against severe cold. It looks quite dead to me. But use a knife, gently scrape the skin of the stem to see if there is any green please. Take cuttings if it does get better please. What a lovely and big flower!

There might be some life yet, but do water it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a hibiscus that dies nearly every year here in Florida, but it comes back every time and usually the stems are completely dead, as was the case this year.

However, I'm not sure if yours will comeback, given that the roots were probably frozen -- the frost line down here is no more than a 1/4-inch into the soil, plus I have a heavy layer of mulch over its roots.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@conseil Mon ceour bat avec le votre! Such a beauty. Don't move it please. Just water it to see if anything will come back. Hibiscus is usually a toughie .. something in plants which I really like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
In your area a Hibiscus is considered an annual. Definitely trim it back to an inch or so high just Incase it is located in an area where there was no ground freeze. I’m pretty sure it is toast but you never know about plants. If it does make it, next fall cover with a blanket and bury it in straw.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Very timely information for mr. Thanks guys. I have planted an hibiscus and wnilst it doesn't snow here, or very very rarely and doesn't settle on the ground, it does get cold and damp. May not need a blanket but will certainky give it a good "cuddle"of mulch.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum @conseil . When you have time, please add your zone which is 5a to your profile and then people from other zones can then temper their responses using that knowledge. In the Canadian zone directory, we are 6a but using the standards from the US and Europe, we are zone 5a.

Water, wait. Maybe you'll get lucky. I've been pleasantly surprised many times :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Hibiscus x 'Starry Starry Night', is a hybrid herbaceous perennial that will die to the ground in Winter.
It is often late to emerge in Spring. The plant pictured in the OP may be alive and healthy, though by May. there are often visible live buds at the rootcrown.

Hibiscus x 'Starry Starry Night' is a cross between H. x 'Crown Jewels' and H. x 'Midnight Marvel'), both parents themselves are complex hybrids of Crimson Hemp Rose-mallow (Hibiscus coccineus) and Swamp Rose-mallow (Hibiscus moscheutos).

Ask a Question