Which fruit trees for Southeast Coastal Georgia zone 8b

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have room for one or two more fruit trees to add to my persimmon, pomegranite and citrus tree. Has anyone from this area had success with a particular fruit tree and can make a recommendation? I have sandy soil but can add compost and have some rock phosphate that I can put in a hole for a tree. I would be grateful for any suggestions for this Spring.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Howdy.

As a multidecades resident of zone 8b and lover of home grown fruit, I can make a few suggestions:

1) The Flordaprince Peach
is a relatively new low chill variety which I have had great success with. I tried other peach varieties over the years but none of them has produced anywhere near as much fruit as this one nor have they endured for any number of years which I'm hopeful this variety will do. Do some research on it and I think you will find, if you like peaches, this one is worth trying. I love mine.

2) Plums are just outstanding in my 8b climate. I do need a pollinator, but my goodness the number of plums produced off of two trees is staggering. We have families who beg for the plums each year to make jelly. They are outstanding and require very little care.

3) Pears are another very low maintenance, highly productive fruit tree in my zone. Honestly, I have two pears trees which are both over 50 years old and which never receive any maintenance and which produce large numbers of fruit each and every year.

I have persimmon, pomegranite, citrus as you mentioned and they are ok but none of them produce the volume of delicious fruit that the above trees provide year after year. Grapes, particularly muscadine varieties, also do extremely well here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can I ask which species of pear trees do you have? When I lived in Albuquerque I had Santa Rosa plums that were very prolific. Which kind of plums are you growing? I would love to have plums again!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm sorry but the pears have been here literally longer than I have, LOL, and that's saying something. I don't know what their names are exactly but one is an eating pear that looks like a Bartlett and the other is an excellent cooking pear like an Asian.

Yes, I have the Santa Rosa plum...highly prolific.

Ask a Question