Lower Nitrogen for backyard fruit trees?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
So I watched from YouTube and people said for backyard fruit trees, they recommend high values of PK and lower value of N so trees don’t grow tall. They said for backyard fruit trees planting, we want to keep trees short so it’s easy to pick. What are your thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think you watch too much YouTube.. Inadequate or lower nitrogen leads to chlorosis. If you want a shorter tree get a dwarf variety. P and K are for flowering and fruiting. Haven't these people ever heard of a step ladder or a fruit grabber.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Youtube is very much a roll of the dice. A lot of people trying random just to get views.
If you want your trees short go with the old true and tried, buy dwarf.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That's crazy advice...starve your fruit tree so it is easy to pick the fruit? Unbelievable! If you really want it short, don't feed or water it at all and it will be really short, LOL.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You are watching a wave of thought that is beginning to recognize that high N is imbalanced across the board. The problem is they are struggling for agreement on what the perfect low N situation might be. I would recommend some Epsoma fertilizer as homework.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A fruit grabber was mentioned. What is that and is it readily available?
Just google fruit grabber images. There are all kinds of them and they are everywhere. I use a light bulb changing tool on my pear tree.

Last edited:

Ask a Question