Rock phosphate on fruit trees?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just learned that rock phosphate is good for persimmon trees. Is it good for other fruiting trees? I have muscadines, a mulberry tree, citrus trees and a red olive tree. Would this be good for any or all of these? Also, is there a difference between rock phosphate and blood meal? When I did a google search, the terms seem to be used interchangeably.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Rock phosphate is a material derived from a type of clay and sedimentary rocks. It contains quite a bit of phosphorus. All plants need a certain amount of phosphorus and most fertilizers contain phosphorus, the amount indicated by the second number of the NPK ratio stated on the bag. Rock phosphate/phosphorus greatly helps in the flowering of plants. Blood meal is pure nitrogen, 12% and contains zero rock phosphate. It is NOT interchangeable with rock phosphate as they are two completely different things and perform different functions. Blood meal is used mainly for the foliage of a plant. The reason rock phosphate is applied directly to roots is because it is not water soluble in alkaline soils and to have any effect in these soils it must be applied directly to the roots. It works well in acidic soils however.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, it is beneficial to other fruit trees and grapes of which I have many. I use it on my winter veggies especially but also on fruit trees such as peach, mulberry, and others. My muscadine grapes also get it and thrive. Very different than blood meal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really meant to ask if rock phosphate and bone meal are interchangeable, not blood meal. But I'm glad to hear it's good for the other fruit trees. Anyone have a good source for rock phosphate? I've checked our neighborhood Lowe's, ebay and Amazon. It looks like it's expensive for the amount I might need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I really meant to ask if rock phosphate and bone meal are interchangeable, not blood meal. But I'm glad to hear it's good for the other fruit trees. Anyone have a good source for rock phosphate? I've checked our neighborhood Lowe's, ebay and Amazon. It looks like it's expensive for the amount I might need.
Have you had your soil tested? Both have a few different beneficial substances that plants need but IMO you can use both interchangeably without much if any noticeable differences. Remember, Rock phosphate is not water soluble and does not work well in alkaline soils.

Last edited:

Ask a Question