Which dahlia is this??

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
Grew them through cuttings. They have been growing for about 3+ years by now. Did not find any tiniest of flower in them. What are they?
IMG20211229122249.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting. I don't think Dahlia usually require dormancy to bloom, but perhaps this one would benefit from drying out and then resprouting. Do you have other Dahlia that bloom fine without ever going dormant?

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
Interesting. I don't think Dahlia usually require dormancy to bloom, but perhaps this one would benefit from drying out and then resprouting. Do you have other Dahlia that bloom fine without ever going dormant?
None as such. @Marck, it's a wonder to me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
To be clear, you do not have any Dahlia that bloom without dormancy. or you do have Dahlia that bloom whole staying green year-round?

Nili

Leaf enthusiast
Reaction score
Country
India
To be clear, you do not have any Dahlia that bloom without dormancy. or you do have Dahlia that bloom whole staying green year-round?
I do not have any Dahlia that bloom without dormancy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is interesting. It seems rare for Dahlia to not go dormant. Perhaps the plant you are growing has lost a gene that initiates dormancy and flowering. I wonder if dormancy could be induced by withholding water. Do you know what environmental cues cause your other Dahlia to go dormant?

Dahlia are native to Mexico and Central America. Even though it doesn't get very cold, there are still enviornmental cues related to day length as well as rainfall and humidity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've looked at this plant more than once and something about the leaves and stems suggest to me it's not a Dahlia at all. There are many plants that look similar.

I would plant it in the ground to see if that makes any difference. If it is a Dahlia then the pot/soil may be restricting it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
These opposite, compound leaves are within the variation one sees with Dahlia. Different species and centuries of hybrid breeding have created a variety of leaflet shapes.

Repotting the Dahlia in a larger container or the ground may help the plant's growth and tuberous root development though it looks healthy in its current state. Can you tell if this plant is producing tuberous roots like most Dahlia?
Letting the plant die back to its roots may inspire it to flower, but only if it is able to survive dormancy with its thickened storage roots.

Ask a Question