Dahlia seeds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all.
I am thinking of planting dahlia seeds in early October, much like you would sweet peas. I usually buy tubers, but think it would be cheaper to try seeds. I thought I would keep them over winter in the little seed house, it isn't heated, but is well insulted with bubble wrap. Does any one else think this would work?
Thanks for any thoughts

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would wait until next spring to sow the seed and yes it will be cheaper; you don't get the named varieties, but next autumn you can save the tubers of the ones you like. Bishop's Children seed is commonly available.
I overwinter all my tubers and I've had some for a dozen years or so.
Dahlias are herbaceous perennials and so naturally die back in the autumn and come through the winter as the underground tubers.
if the seed germinates this autumn it will be difficult to keep the young plants growing with out supplementary light and heating over the winter period. Bear in mind that dahlias are not frost hardy.
I would sow the seed next April somewhere warm and light and then plant out thee young plants after the risk of frost has gone, probably towards the end of May.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the advice, I just thought I could get a head start. I WILL have a border full of dahlias! I have tried this year and thought I was winning, but the hot dry weather has stunted the dahlias growth. I will win!!

Ask a Question