When you VALUE your privacy......

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welllll........that escalated quickly........

We in the UK wouldn't be able to appreciate the importance and pragmatism of having such a fence. I share your concern and I would have a fence if I had no neighbours and pyracanthas all along them and would . I might dig a hole for Mr hedgehog to find a mate. But hey, you need that for the safety of your family. Who wouldn't do that, especially the world is full of nuts .. and some have attained power? in many and various corners of the world .. I will keep Schtum..... now before some jobs.... slaps me down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thanks @alp , totally forgot about the closeness/ density of your area. reminds me of my husbands youngest brother and his wife who live in Orange County, California, all proud they were of their purchase of a 1/2 million dollar house, of 4,000 sq feet years ago. Finally went to visit, and through their kitchen window you could see what the next door neighbor as having for breakfast, and back yard, is a 10 foot pace to a wall. Give me my little 1800 square foot home on 3 acres with woods and need of no privacy curtains . And, lucking out is still protected woodland behind me of 20 acres. Funny when their son was out in Virginia at college he kept telling them of the wide open spaces, they just don't want to hear of it. I was actually brought up on a farm in Ohio, of 45 acres. So openness is what I am used to. But this area I live in is an expensive county for PA, so cost is high. They have zoning things here which are strict, buildings have to be approved to visually meet the ambiance of the historic quality of the area, and there are many protected open lands of thousands of acres that cannot be built on ever to preserve the style of this area, which are rolling hills, woodlands etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
BTW, when I am too old for this house and vast garden will want to sell it to a gardener to keep it going. The house itself is a three bedroom ranch home, with a sun room, new kitchen, new bathrooms, full basement. Hope that will happen and I can have control of that. It sits 100 paces back on a very quiet private road, in a very small development of also quiet well mannered folks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @alp , totally forgot about the closeness/ density of your area. reminds me of my husbands youngest brother and his wife who live in Orange County, California, all proud they were of their purchase of a 1/2 million dollar house, of 4,000 sq feet years ago. Finally went to visit, and through their kitchen window you could see what the next door neighbor as having for breakfast, and back yard, is a 10 foot pace to a wall. Give me my little 1800 square foot home on 3 acres with woods and need of no privacy curtains . And, lucking out is still protected woodland behind me of 20 acres. Funny when their son was out in Virginia at college he kept telling them of the wide open spaces, they just don't want to hear of it. I was actually brought up on a farm in Ohio, of 45 acres. So openness is what I am used to. But this area I live in is an expensive county for PA, so cost is high. They have zoning things here which are strict, buildings have to be approved to visually meet the ambiance of the historic quality of the area, and there are many protected open lands of thousands of acres that cannot be built on ever to preserve the style of this area, which are rolling hills, woodlands etc.

Ours is a typical 1960s English suburban small semi-detached house. Fortunately we live on the inside of a "U" shaped crescent, halfway down one side of the "U".
Our front garden is only about 20ft. long by 30ft wide, 8ft of that is taken up by the width of the drive which runs down the side of the house.
Our back garden (we don't call them "yards" as that over here would indicate an uncultivated, even tarmaced or paved area) is only about 30ft by 90ft, as is the garden of the house that backs on to ours.
By English suburban standards, it's longer than the average garden.
They don't build small semis with that much garden now.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
BTW, when I am too old for this house and vast garden will want to sell it to a gardener to keep it going. The house itself is a three bedroom ranch home, with a sun room, new kitchen, new bathrooms, full basement. Hope that will happen and I can have control of that. It sits 100 paces back on a very quiet private road, in a very small development of also quiet well mannered folks.

You're soooo lucky!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Thank you @alp Yes, do enjoy it here. will even more after retirement. Its my choice of the date. So now thinking March 2019, get me through the winter when the gardens are covered with snow. and come spring ready go.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Don't Take me To Seriously lol but a fence or gate can be improved with the addition of a peep hole;)........... Its been done before:D
793ae1568ea123c5404735bfb547a7cd.jpg
dObnEtD.jpg
00d00a8f-c2fd-4204-863c-7dd20440a2f0-A76062.jpg
35ff7c92faf96a4f6a6b11acdae5c6f6--fence-plays.jpg

Ask a Question