When to Harvest Honeydews?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have tried growing honeydews several times over the years. For all the effort I put in over the years I maybe got a couple sweet ones. I decided to give it a try again this spring eventhough last year was a total failure. Tried a different variety this year as some will excel and others willl fail depending on environment.

The patch is growing well and there are a few getting big. My only concern is when to harvest. I already figured out when to harvest WMs and canteloupe with great sucess but I can't seem to figure it out for honeydews.

Any help would be appreciated.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's great to hear that your honeydew patch is growing well this year! Harvesting honeydews can indeed be a bit tricky, but with some observation and a few tips, you can improve your chances of picking them at their peak sweetness and ripeness.

Unlike watermelons and cantaloupes, honeydews don't typically change color dramatically as they ripen, so you'll need to rely on other indicators.

Honeydews take around 65 to 90 days from pollination to reach maturity. Check the date of pollination or when the flowers appeared, and make a note of the expected harvest window.

A ripe honeydew will have a slightly oval shape and a smooth, waxy texture on the skin. The skin should also have a creamy-yellow color with little to no green areas.

Gently press the skin of the honeydew with your thumb. A ripe honeydew will have a slight give, but it should not be too soft or mushy. If the rind feels hard or too firm, it's likely not yet ripe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A ripe honeydew will have a slightly oval shape and a smooth, waxy texture on the skin. The skin should also have a creamy-yellow color with little to no green areas.

Gently press the skin of the honeydew with your thumb. A ripe honeydew will have a slight give, but it should not be too soft or mushy. If the rind feels hard or too firm, it's likely not yet ripe.
I will definelty give that a try this year. That is more detailed than anything I have read during my research.

Thank you!

MOD

Ask a Question