Russet potato harvest results

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I sprouted and grew some Walmart Russet potatoes this year. I'm not exactly sure of the variety but I am assuming they are Burbank. Harvested some today (83rd day from planting) as the vines are dead. I don't think these grow well here or something. 14 plants averaged 7.14 oz of potatoes each for a total of 6 lb 3.95 oz. Most were small and there were a few medium ones but it was not what I was expecting. Certainly doesn't look as good as a bag of Walmart taters. I have Kennebecs that were planted at the same time and were treated the same way and they still have big lucious leaves so I'm not sure why the Russets died first as Burbanks have later harvest days.

Anyways I'm figuring I turned 3 lbs of these potatoes into 18 lbs if the averages hold up which isn't bad I guess. I remember someone calculated up what they grew and got out of each plant but cant find it now. Maybe @Meadowlark or @gary350 . Would you point me to the information? I'm interested in comparing data. Does that seem like a reasonable harvest considering the days of growth?

20230617_215148.jpg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In my recent experiment, I harvested 6 pounds of new russet per pound of seed potato in the ground planting, slightly less in HK container...which is exactly what you got. 86 days to harvest in my case.

I have a detailed spreadsheet of all 12 varieties I tested if you need more info than is presented in this summary thread:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks. I don't see the harvest days for each variety unless I missed it. Really I'm not that impressed with the Russet (Burbank 120 days claimed) potato harvest for some reason but maybe if they didn't die back then maybe. Last year I havested Kennebecs (80 days claimed) this time of year because the vines died back but this year they are still in full leaf for some reason so maybe they will produce better than the Russets. Not sure what to make out of this scenario.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I get the rest of the Russets dug up I will report the final data. I've already dug up a third of them so maybe in the next few days.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thanks. I don't see the harvest days for each variety unless I missed it.
That information is in my detailed spreadsheet which was too large and cumbersome to post. So, I just posted a summary in that referenced thread.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm not that impressed with the Russet (Burbank 120 days claimed) potato harvest for some reason ...

They ranked #9 in my experiment out of 12 varieties, just ahead of #10 Kennebec. I won't grow either one ever again. Too many superior varieties to waste time on them, IMO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They ranked #9 in my experiment out of 12 varieties, just ahead of #10 Kennebec. I won't grow either one ever again. Too many superior varieties to waste time on them, IMO.
Hmm. I'd say Kennebecs are a little better than these Russets. I'd prefer growing those over the Russets. Not by much though which kinda goes by what you posted. A difference in climates maybe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe I should try different potatoes next year. Won't be Russets unless I just have to grow them. I cant remember what other varieties are available here now but I don't remember any red potatoes. Walmart sells red taters so might be a repeat next year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a late spring again, so really just getting into my tatties now,
I have a first early called, "Foremost" which is a delicious new tattie & my wife's favourite.
At the start of the harvest I don't get a huge return, maybe 300-400 grammes per seed (55-65g) & I could leave them longer to bulk up, as I'd get 600-800g then, BUT in UK shops right now, potatoes are either the dregs of last year, which are awful & throw half away, or hugely expensive (£1.65/$2 a lb), so I see taking some now, & accepting the lower yields as worthwhile.
Next week they should be up to full harvest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I sprouted and grew some Walmart Russet potatoes this year. I'm not exactly sure of the variety but I am assuming they are Burbank. Harvested some today (83rd day from planting) as the vines are dead. I don't think these grow well here or something. 14 plants averaged 7.14 oz of potatoes each for a total of 6 lb 3.95 oz. Most were small and there were a few medium ones but it was not what I was expecting. Certainly doesn't look as good as a bag of Walmart taters. I have Kennebecs that were planted at the same time and were treated the same way and they still have big lucious leaves so I'm not sure why the Russets died first as Burbanks have later harvest days.

Anyways I'm figuring I turned 3 lbs of these potatoes into 18 lbs if the averages hold up which isn't bad I guess. I remember someone calculated up what they grew and got out of each plant but cant find it now. Maybe @Meadowlark or @gary350 . Would you point me to the information? I'm interested in comparing data. Does that seem like a reasonable harvest considering the days of growth?

View attachment 97431

I don't have very good luck growing russet potatoes about 1 lb of new potatoes per plant. I don't think russets like our 100° hot summer June to Sept with only about 1" of rain per month. Russet is a cool weather crop nothing I try does very well to get a good crop of russet so I stopped growing the, Russet is one of our favorite potatoes.

Red Pontic potatoes grow very well for me they are hot weather potatoes. I don't need to try very hard to get 4 lbs of potatoes from each plant.

This year I planted Red Norland they are red potatoes that taste like white potatoes. I found Red Norland at Aldi's grocery store, I bought 10 lbs cut them up to make cuttings with 1 eye per cutting. I planted April 5 and dug up 1 potato yesterday just to look se what is there. Wow this 1 potatoes is about 3/4 lb. Need to wait 1 more month to see what type harvest I get.

I bought Yellow potatoes at Aldi's grocery store also and planted several of them. Wait and see what we harvest in another month.

I planted Kennebec potatoes also these are suppose to be hot weather potatoes harvest is 3½ months. Some times I get 1 lb of new potatoes per plant. Best seed potatoes seems to be golf ball size with 1 eye. I often buy large seed potatoes that is all there is too choose from and get 5 cuttings with 1 or 2 eyes. I think TN is too hot for most potatoes.

When we lived in Illinois 45 years ago potatoes were very easy to grow 60 plants would produce 400 lbs of new potatoes. I have tried for 45 years I can not grow good crop of potatoes in TN compared to Illinois. I try new things every year, I am irrigating my potato plants this year to see if that helps. 120 gallons of water cost me 61 cents. So far this summer is not as hot and dry as past years I have only irrigated my plants 2 times this summer we are getting lots of rain that we typically never get.

The trick to a good potato crop seems to be growing the correct potatoes for your geographical location, weather, soft soil, lots of water, & fertilizer. I have learned too much nitrogen fertilizer you get very large plants & very few new potatoes. I also learn not enough nitrogen is bad too. 15-15-15 fertilizer worked in Illinois but that is not good in TN. Wow go figure??? I think we grew cobbler potatoes 50 years ago but I can't find cobber seed potatoes anymore.

Kennebec is suppose to be a hot weather potato.

Look at our weather for this week. I have never seen this much rain in TN summer. My garden is always desert June to Sept. Look at the temperature it should be 95° to 98° already.

100_7815.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Final count: 3 lbs of sprouted Walmart Russet potatoes, well slightly less since I remember tossing a few small cuttings, turned into 37 potato plants and harvested 14 lb 2.65 oz for an average of 6.13 oz per plant. So I got 4.73 lbs of potatoes for each lb of seed potato.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have very good luck growing russet potatoes about 1 lb of new potatoes per plant.
I averaged 6 oz per plant with those. Lol. My tater growing skills need some work. I didn't mention that when I cut them I cut them pretty thin with mostly 1 eye cuttings. The only cuttings that got 2 or more eyes was because I coudn't cut them out safely. Maybe that lowered my harvest?

I don't think russets like our 100° hot summer June to Sept with only about 1" of rain per month. Russet is a cool weather crop nothing I try does very well to get a good crop of russet so I stopped growing the, Russet is one of our favorite potatoes.
It hasn't hit the 90's yet, mostly been highs in the 80's. Must still be too hot for the Russets I suppose?

120 gallons of water cost me 61 cents.
Its about 1.5 cents per gallon here.

So far this summer is not as hot and dry as past years I have only irrigated my plants 2 times this summer we are getting lots of rain that we typically never get.
Wow. It is the opposite here. I have only been able to skip a watering once or twice because of sufficient rainfall.

I think we grew cobbler potatoes 50 years ago but I can't find cobber seed potatoes anymore.
Yea I suggested those to Meadowlark, I think, and I haven't seen them either.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My potato plants are starting to die it is very near harvest time. I dug up 3 plants and have a total of 3 lbs 3 oz of new potatoes. I bought 20 lbs of seed potatoes and got 160 cuttings = 160 potato plants. My TN average is 1 lb of new potatoes per plant. 160 plants should = 160 lbs of new potatoes. Start with 20 lbs and get 160 lbs that is an increase of 140 lbs. I think that is the best I can do in TN potatoes were much easier to grow in Illinois.

100_7820.JPG
100_7822.JPG
100_7825.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I averaged 6 oz per plant with those. Lol. My tater growing skills need some work. I didn't mention that when I cut them I cut them pretty thin with mostly 1 eye cuttings. The only cuttings that got 2 or more eyes was because I coudn't cut them out safely. Maybe that lowered my harvest?

Yes, IMO it significantly lowers your production to "cut them thin". Significantly. The plants need a good bite out of the seed potato to be productive. Sure, you can throw some peelings out and get plants, but the new potatoes will be few and far between. I don't optimize on number of plants; rather focus on how much production I can get from a pound of seed potato. After all, seed potatoes are sold by the pound not plant.

Ask a Question