When to feed asparagus?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My asparagus plants are 4 years old and have never been fed more than compost. From what I've been reading, it seems a good idea to put down some manure after I cut back the ferns. When do I do this? Winter or Spring before they come up out of the ground? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Asparagus is a fairly heavy feeder. To have the best and most spears fertilizing is a must. Once per year in the spring is minimal. More is better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do mine in the Spring, before they wake up, and again in the fall ,after frost and before snow. They seem to love it !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I have 6 year old and 4 year old asparagus. I put chicken poop down in the fall and early spring. then a few times during spring and early summer I put down organic matter as in cuc and carrot peels, tom scraps, etc. broken down into mostly liquid form.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I need some more advice. I found a fertilizer that was 13-13-13 and came in 40 lb bags. My beds are 4x4 and 12 inches deep. How far would 40 lbs go and is $14.00 a decent price? They were also selling Black Cow compost/manure but it was .5-.5.0.4. Would that be enough for asparagus?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Asparagus beds are permanent, they last for years. They should be taken care of accordingly. Being taken care of means improving the soil each and every year. That 13-13-13 is a synthetic fertilizer. It does absolutely nothing good for the soil. In fact, it makes the soil worse by burning out organic matter that is in the soil. The NPK in the compost is minimal and not enough for sustainable growth but, it is pure organic matter, which, in time breaks down and greatly improves the soil and feeds the plant. What you should do is fertilize with a good organic fertilizer AND incorporate copious amounts of the compost into the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will add as much compost as I have. What are some sources of organic fertilizer? The Lowes in my neighborhood does not have any. They do carry aged manure, but it is also processed in a way that eliminates that I think is needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I will add as much compost as I have. What are some sources of organic fertilizer? The Lowes in my neighborhood does not have any. They do carry aged manure, but it is also processed in a way that eliminates that I think is needed.
Feed stores normally carry organic fertilizers but even if they don't they can order it for you. Real nurseries will carry it. Although it is more expensive you can get it online. What is your closest big town?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Savannah would be the closest, but if possible, I'd rather order it online. Do you have a reliable company to recommend?
I use Medina Growing Green but there are many other excellent fertilizers out there. Fox Farms, Espoma, Dr Earth, Jobes, Neptune Harvest are all good. Just be sure that whatever you get has OMRI on the bag somewhere. There are manure based and plant based organic fertilizers. It really makes no difference which it is.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had 2 beds side by side for about 12 years . I cut the ferns down usually late November and then cover the beds with well rotted farmyard manure which we have delivered to the allotment every other year. Around April just before the odd spear start poking through I remove what manure I can to try and keep the weeds down. At the peak of the cropping season ( May to June ) if the temperatures keep high I can pick 120 spears in a week. The manure certainly helps but the most important thing I believe with asparagus is to water it every time I go to the allotment during the short cropping season

Reaction score
Country
United States
My asparagus plants are 4 years old and have never been fed more than compost. From what I've been reading, it seems a good idea to put down some manure after I cut back the ferns. When do I do this? Winter or Spring before they come up out of the ground? Thanks.
I've only grown asparagus once and it never got to the fruiting stage because I had to move, so take what I say with a grain of your preferred spice. But I always think it's better to fertilize in Fall than in Spring. That gives the fertilizer more time to break down and incorporate into the soil. It's not like those nutrients are going to go anywhere over the winter when everything is pretty dormant.

Ask a Question