Feeding tomato seedlings

Do you fertilize your tomato seedlings?

• Yes homemade fertilizer such as diluted compost tea/manure tea or fish emulsion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, not until they're in the ground

• No, never

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Trying to figure out what the best fertilizer would be for them. They are barely starting to develop the true leaves now. I was thinking of going for some very diluted manure tea from some aged chicken or sheep manure but just not sure. Would it still be too strong? Has anyone had success with homemade fish emulsion?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I would forget about feeding until the seedling develop into suitable plants. Prick out and pot up. Then as the plans get stronger, then consider feeding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thank you. That is what I had intended to do, but I keep reading things or seeing videos where they say that your seedlings may/will die or at least suffer if you don’t feed them once they get true leaves. I hadn’t heard this before, but then again I don’t usually start tomatoes from seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Proper soil is a must. Keep the soil slightly moist, but don't drown them. I use a name brand potting soil and wait until they are well developed plants before fertilizing them. Ever thought of a weak molasses tea? A spoon of unsuphured molasses after repotting might be what you want.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is what I use for my seedlings once they get their first true leaves. It works well for me. I try to find it in a liquid, but often I can't, so I just sprinkle a little on the soil around the seedlings and water it in. It works in eventually.

Dr. Earth 71115 1 lb 2-4-2 MINIS Root Zone Starter Fertilizer​

Ask a Question