When the travel bug bites you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
At the last show, I came across an awesome Cadilac, loved the reflection of the grill on the bumper.
reflections.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We had some NEW pics taken of our Airbnb. So this is it-----https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/935479660576734368?check_in=2023-10-10&check_out=2023-10-15&guests=1&adults=1&s=67&unique_share_id=f486997f-c9f2-4d30-885d-2dc8c4197c6a

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Two more weeks away trip planned One end of October up in the Poconos. And the second Mid-December in Virginia. Both on resorts, no car with us this time.
We will be --with the car at a car show in Morgantown, PA, Oct. 7. a charity event. thank goodness only a 30 min drive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Anyone from Chester County, PA. Sasha and husband and I are planning to be at this charity event. Find us, and introduce yourselves. Will be fun to meet avid gardeners.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Well we have three more adventures planned for the balance of the year. And this time NOT with the CAR. yeah.
That last trip being gone 20 days really took it out of me. Different beds almost every night.
Anyway, end of October we will be in the Poconos and some resort. Then for Thanksgiving, we are heading down to our Airbnb for a short few days, taking stuff with us, then driving west to Georgia to spend Thanksgiving with cousins. Then around middle of December a trip to Virginia at another resort. What we will actually do around the resorts etc. who knows yet. But, easier without the car.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
This Friday leaving for the resort in Virginia. Their site on line shows lots of events to sign up for, and a spa --which of course signing up for a massage and facial a must for me. There are 5 restaurants in the resort community. Taking some books.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This Friday leaving for the resort in Virginia. Their site on line shows lots of events to sign up for, and a spa --which of course signing up for a massage and facial a must for me. There are 5 restaurants in the resort community. Taking some books.
Hope I am wrong, but that sounds like a covid spreader, do take care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Hope I am wrong, but that sounds like a covid spreader, do take care.
Thank you for your concern. But we have been to 8 car shows this year, and two away holidays and now this one next week. If we would catch it, we'd catch it by now. Knock wood. And we don't wear any masks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm guessing the car shows are out in the fresh air, it was the restaurants that had me worried, indoors and you can't wear protection and eat. I do hope you are right, it's a really nasty disease. They are finding out more and more about it, and none of it is nice. A lot is about permanent damage it does , and pockets of long term infection similar to AIDS, horrid.

Anywhere crowded I always wear a mask, but today, for instance, I visited an old friend who is also vulnerable and I know is careful. I didn't wear a mask then, but when I left and got in the car I sprayed up my nose with 'First defence' which is supposed to kill viruses. Coming up eighty and immunosuppressed I am in the main group for dying, but in a way long covid and things like depressed cognisance and failing organs worry me more.

Came across someone the other day who calls people like you and I 'Novids'.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I'm guessing the car shows are out in the fresh air, it was the restaurants that had me worried, indoors and you can't wear protection and eat. I do hope you are right, it's a really nasty disease. They are finding out more and more about it, and none of it is nice. A lot is about permanent damage it does , and pockets of long term infection similar to AIDS, horrid.

Anywhere crowded I always wear a mask, but today, for instance, I visited an old friend who is also vulnerable and I know is careful. I didn't wear a mask then, but when I left and got in the car I sprayed up my nose with 'First defence' which is supposed to kill viruses. Coming up eighty and immunosuppressed I am in the main group for dying, but in a way long covid and things like depressed cognisance and failing organs worry me more.

Came across someone the other day who calls people like you and I 'Novids'.
You do know Masks really do not work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those blue paper ones are about 20% effective, but I use an ff3 N95, medical grade that is about 98-9% effective.
Anecdotally, my missus worked in the library dealing with the public for two years and was scrupulous about wearing it. She was the only member of staff who did not catch it.
High grade masks do work, I'll see if I can dig out the data for you.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is from a dental journal, I have quoted this because it includes something about the US grades, but there is similar information on NHS sites and from the WHO.

"
FFP3 face masks are the most effective at filtration, with a minimum filtration of 99% and a maximum leakage of 2% to the inside. These masks are better shaped to your face for a more snug fit and typically have a valve to help breathe as the filtration material is much thicker. The valve also reduces the build up of moisture, lengthening the lifespan of the mask. FFP3 masks are typically used for handling asbestos.

FFP2, FFP3, N95 and other respirator masks are effective at protecting the wearer from viral transmission.

It should be noted that N95 masks can not be officially legally recommended for use in Europe although in the current situation with PPE shortages in practice a more flexible approach seems to be being taken.

What are the US and European Standards for face masks?

Medical masks and respirators undergo different standards and regulations, dependent on the geographical area to which they are manufactured.

Medical masks in Europe must comply with the European standard EN 14683, which have 3 levels of bacterial filtration efficiency (BFE1, BFE2, Type R). In the US medical masks must comply with ASTM standards, which have three levels of protection (from low risk of exposure to fluids to high risk of exposure to fluids).

Respirators in Europe must meet European standard EN 149: 2001, which includes three classes of disposable particulate respirators (FFP1, FFP2 and FFP3). In the US respirators must comply with NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) standards.

Within this standard, there are several classes of respirators depending on the degree of oil resistance:

• Class N: no oil resistance. A distinction is made between N95, N99 and N100. The number after the letter indicates the percentage of filtration of suspended particles.
  • Class R: mask resistant to oil for up to eight hours. Here again, a distinction is made between R95, R99 and R100.
  • Class P: a completely oil-resistant mask. There are also P95, P99 and P100."
One important aspect is fitting, there must not be leakage at the edges, the nose being the most dangerous area, I wear glasses and find a good strong exhalation will mist them up if I have not quite got it right.
The other thing I do if I have been anywhere that feels dangerous is use 'First Defence', an antiviral nasal spray.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Oliver Buckle , you have to do what you feel is right for you. After 55 years in the medical field and also my husband, we do what we need to do for us. Knock wood and we do not wear masks. We make sure we eat well, good natural foods, take some vit. C, Zinc, and Vit. D. Mother nature already has our noses ready for the first offense against viruses, botching that up with a man made material is not what I want to do. It has already been known that a lot of the deaths and diagnosis due to "covid" is false and only assigned for extra funding . Both husband and I have not been sick since I can't recall, maybe in 2017 a minor cold. But one does need exposer to certain virus to continue a strong immune system. Again, you do what you feel is good for you and yours.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Soon we take off again. This time to our Airbnb down in North Carolina. This time we plan to stay a whole 3 weeks away. Empty nesters here, so no worries about cats anymore. Hopefully will have more time to explore the area. Certainly packing more stuff this trip. Hope the weather will not be too warm. I still fit into my shorts from last summer, yeah.

Ask a Question