When it is safe to plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The last few days have been beautiful up here in Western Washington. It has been a tease because the weather is still really cold in the morning and there is frost on the ground. I can hardly wait to get going on planting some food. Are there any seeds that can survive frost, or am I just going to have to be patient for a little longer?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
From the conditions you describe, peas, lettuces, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage will do well. From seed--peas and lettuces. From starts the others.
You can also put in onion sets, but if the soil is too cold you won't get bulbs, just green onions.
I'm chomping at the bit to plant here in central Texas, but the weather has been too cold and the ground too soggy to get into the garden and do anything. I am sincerely trying to be patient, but it ain't easy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The last few days have been beautiful up here in Western Washington. It has been a tease because the weather is still really cold in the morning and there is frost on the ground. I can hardly wait to get going on planting some food. Are there any seeds that can survive frost, or am I just going to have to be patient for a little longer?
The following guide should be of help

Attachments

• scan0002.pdf
    607.3 KB · Views: 248
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I ordered and picked up my soil thermometer today. The paper was tightly folded so looks a bit sloppy but here are scans of the attached info sheet- basically repeating the spec sheet that Chuck posted but includes Celsius and also the actual thermometer with a pencil beside it to show scale.i
I bought it at Lee Valley Tools for $10.50 what a bargain!!!
Soil Temps with Thermometer.jpg
Soil Thermometer.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question