Was this mulch safe to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The thing with mulch is whether or not it will change the alkalinity/ acidity of your soil for growing specific plants. I imagine pine mulch would increase acidity - the suppliers would, or should be able to inform you.
Here we find spent mushroom compost is excellent, and it improves the soil too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How much area do you have to mulch?

Personally, I don't like wood mulches, because leaves are easier for things that like mulch as habitat to make habitat. Example, (just one) is the legless lizard, which likes to bury itself in piles of leaves (you can imagine how tough it would be to bury into a pile of wood chips. http://www.wildflorida.com/wildlife/lizards/Eastern_Glass_Lizard.php

There's nothing wrong with wood chips, it's not dangerous in the least, I'm just a little crazy on making habitat.

Do people leave yard waste on the curb for pick up by the city in your area? Here in Jax on trash day, we have three pick ups, garbage, recycling and yard waste. I go around and gather people's yard waste, which is mostly raked leaves and use that for my mulch. I have so much that I really don't need to do it much nowadays, because I produce enough of my own yard waste to maintain what I've built up over the years. Example, the other day the power company came by and chopped away all the limbs from around the power lines, I had them drop all the limbs in my front yard (they normally chop them up and take away for dumping). I cut all that stuff up and spread it in my yard as habitat and it also keeps my soil healthy.

One lesson learned over the years of collecting yard waste. Collect only in the nice areas/neighborhoods and stay away from trashy areas. It's incredible how much trash/garbage you'll find in yard waste bags in those areas. Do people even think:mad::mad::mad:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Example, the other day the power company came by and chopped away all the limbs from around the power lines, I had them drop all the limbs in my front yard (they normally chop them up and take away for dumping). I cut all that stuff up and spread it in my yard as habitat and it also keeps my soil healthy.
@CrazyConure, this reminded me - you might be able to get free (or relatively inexpensive) mulch. Make some calls to local tree service companies, (or the city power company,) and ask what they do with the chipped wood from their jobs. (y) There are a ton of YouTube videos on this subject, from what I've heard/seen, most tree service companies will bring it to your house, just give them gas money to get there. They consider it waste, and they want rid of it!!

There's an empty lot on my way to work, and there are mountains of chipped wood just dumped there. I've been watching these piles for almost a year now, wondering if maybe the wood was diseased, and should I bother...:unsure: :unsure: Then, last month we had a tornado go through our county, tore down a bunch of trees; they were cutting and chipping wood all along my drive to work... and there are three new mountains of chipped wood at the "dumping site." I think that wood is safe!! :sneaky: (y)

As far as the mulch you bought, is it organic, or has it been treated or dyed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Actually, it is dyed! Is that a problem? I already used the mulch. Should I remove it ASAP??

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Actually, it is dyed! Is that a problem? I already used the mulch. Should I remove it ASAP??
CrazyConure, you panic too much!! :p :LOL: Unless the bag states, "Every chip soaked in Round-up to help prevent weeds!," there really can't be too much wrong with store-bought mulch. A lot of organic gardeners stay away from dyed mulch, so I was asking more out of curiosity than anything else.

Your plants are ok. You should switch to decaf. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
CrazyConure, you panic too much!! :p :LOL: Unless the bag states, "Every chip soaked in Round-up to help prevent weeds!," there really can't be too much wrong with store-bought mulch. A lot of organic gardeners stay away from dyed mulch, so I was asking more out of curiosity than anything else.

Your plants are ok. You should switch to decaf. ;) :ROFLMAO:

Haha. Will do! Thank you Ms. Mary!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
CrazyConure, you panic too much!! :p :LOL: Unless the bag states, "Every chip soaked in Round-up to help prevent weeds!," there really can't be too much wrong with store-bought mulch.

We live in a world where nearly everything that is sold has unnecessary and dangerous chemicals, so I wouldn't say @CrazyConure panics too much. That's probably the right amount of panic. Always think twice (at least!) about the things you buy.

Ask a Question