How long until my Mulberries are safe to eat?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
For a few months, the neighbors septic had been leaking under the back fence, poisoning a few of our plants. My two dwarf Mulberry trees survived and have still been fruiting despite the toxic mess. They finally have their drains fixed so it won't flood our shed and yard anymore, but how long until my fruiting plants are safe? My two Dwarf Mulberries are about 2 meters tall so far, I've had them for around 3 years now. The black ones has been having trouble fruiting, but the neighbors tree that was shading it got really sick from their sewage and grey water, so it had been getting more light. Not even the birds touch the fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If the birds won’t touch the berries there is a problem. My opinion is - just write this year off and let the berries drop. By next year they should be ok, but let the birds test them first. Also, I would not walk in the affected area without rubber boots on and then wash the boots after you do. If possible I would water the area as often as possible. There can be many pathogens in sewer water. I also would approach the neighbor about paying for tests to determine when the affected area will be clean.

Ask a Question