Indoor plants that are safe for my cats?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
With the approaching change in season upon us, I am anxious to brings some outdoor life inside. I know that I could research this on my own, but with such a vast amount of knowledge here, I thought I would reach out to this garden community about suggestions about which type of plants are safe for cats to be around.

My cats get into everything. It does not matter how high up I put something, they will find a way to reach it. So, anyone care to share some of their favorite plants that thrive indoors that will not harm my cats. Probably the heartier the better, I imagine the plant will get knocked around quite a bit. ;)

Reaction score
This info graph might be very useful to you:

a86eac8bb0a2eef99797370b18b2b576.jpg

Those are completely safe for cats :) Could give you some ideas :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks!

I know, I could easily look up this information, but belonging to such a wonderful garden forum, I thought why not give a shout out and ask. :)

I always though Spider Plants was a big no no for cats, so that is good to know. Now, if I grew some indoor catnip, my cats might get a bit batty on me. :geek:

Oh, thought I would edit my post to say; although I do not post a lot, I am absolutely loving viewing all of the lovely pictures of flowers on this forum! So, sending out a big thank you to everyone! (y)

Reaction score
Yoiu are welcome and I am glad we could help you with your query. I always thought it's much better to ask the folks in the forum, rather than just search online. I only do that if they can't answer my questions :) Otherwise I stick to asking here, some people here know a lot and most of them are super helpful. I'm very glad you are enjoying this community :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks @Trellum for the info chart! These herbs and plants are good to know even though I don't have a cat. If I ever have these, I will know that they should be safe for dog too. My dog loves chocolate mint leaves :)

Reaction score
@IcyBC You are welcome, but now you also know what not to plant in your garden, so the kitties don't go running there :eek: Just kidding, I'm glad you found this useful :) I had some kalanchoes, but I had to get rid of them because they are toxic to dogs :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@IcyBC You are welcome, but now you also know what not to plant in your garden, so the kitties don't go running there :eek: Just kidding, I'm glad you found this useful :) I had some kalanchoes, but I had to get rid of them because they are toxic to dogs :(

I love kalanchoes and if I keep it in house, it has to be high up! Those tiny flowers are very cheery to see in the mid of winter. We can go for days without seeing the sun light :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Trellum,

As I looked over the lists and watched the video, I thought, oh some of these plants are not going to thrive indoors because I did not think about how this list is also good list as a precautionary for other outdoor pets. Thanks for pointing this out!

I have never heard of Kalanchoes, so I had to take a look to see what you were talking about. Oh, this is such a cute plant with this little blooms. Here is an image for anyone else that wonders what a Kalanchoes looks like. Plus, I am a little partial to the pinks and purples.

2007-03-20Kalanchoe_blossfeldiana11.jpg

Reaction score
@pandora That is a very nice kalanchoe variety, the kalanchoes I kept had very simple flowers :) The one in your picture seems to produce fuller flowers, no idea what variety of kalanchoe it is though D: There are many varieties of kalanchoes out there actually! They look so different from each other in most cases, so keep an eye on that too :)

Reaction score
@IcyBC I have an aunt who lives in Michigan, I have heard the winters over there are tough, so I can understand why you like to keep some kalanchoes around :love: They are so beautiful, aren't they? What color are the ones you keep? I had the most beautiful kalanchoe collection ever... I had pale pink ones, white, yellow, hot pink, red and orange. They were my pride and joy :( But they are all gone now, I could n longer keep them because I am moving. My fav ones were the orange, hot pink and yellow :love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the hot pink and orange color too, @Trellum . I bought them for my mom but not for myself yet! Once you are moved, you can collect them again.

Reaction score
@IcyBC In the Netherlands, specifically in that area there are so many gardening centers... with so many plants it's crazy. I have no idea how am going to stop myself from over populating my tiny dutch house with plants... i had never seen so many different varieties of succulents and other plants. I honestly don't know if I will get kalanchoes again (cat and dog in mind). But I will get many many plants!

Ask a Question