When do you start planting tomatoes indoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The upper east coast is more or less about the same latitude as you, and yet temps are still the main factor. I guess the gulf stream, even though not that far away, makes all the difference in sunlight. It's hard to fathom when you haven't been there.

It's not the Gulf stream that influences our weather and amounts of sunlight so much, but the Jet stream Chuck. Due to climate change the Jet stream is rather a mess which is making our weather here very difficult to predict. Perhaps you would like to take a look at the link below.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=jetstream

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am starting to see why. The jet stream affects me too and it is variable. My weather changes when it dips down from Canada which is usually caused by a low pressure area in the Gulf of Mexico or from a low coming from Canada. The rest of the time it is a steady west to east and the weather then is always cloudless skies and brilliant sunshine. In the southern Atlantic states if the jet stream is steady west to east they normally have a cooler and wetter climate than here in Texas which is caused by the gulf stream. The gulf stream then heads north curving away from Nova Scotia towards you which gives you a warm climate. But then the jet stream goes strait across the Atlantic with nothing much to change it allowing moisture and clouds to form directly over the Isle of Man with nothing much north or south to change things. Is this a fair assumption for the British Isles?

When I win the lotto tonight I was going to invest in a sunglass factory there but now maybe that isn't all that great of an idea.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mine survived the frost last night, first proper one of the winter.

DSCN2492.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mine survived the frost last night, first proper one of the winter.

View attachment 10803
Zigs, get a cardboard box. Cut out the top, the bottom and the front and glue on tin foil. Wrap it around you tomato. Before you glue on the foil crinkle it up a little so that it gives you more directions of reflection. Cover the top opening and front opening with thin plastic food wrap. If you do this I am sure your little tomato will green right up

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'll do that Chuck (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I am starting to see why. The jet stream affects me too and it is variable. My weather changes when it dips down from Canada which is usually caused by a low pressure area in the Gulf of Mexico or from a low coming from Canada. The rest of the time it is a steady west to east and the weather then is always cloudless skies and brilliant sunshine. In the southern Atlantic states if the jet stream is steady west to east they normally have a cooler and wetter climate than here in Texas which is caused by the gulf stream. The gulf stream then heads north curving away from Nova Scotia towards you which gives you a warm climate. But then the jet stream goes strait across the Atlantic with nothing much to change it allowing moisture and clouds to form directly over the Isle of Man with nothing much north or south to change things. Is this a fair assumption for the British Isles?

When I win the lotto tonight I was going to invest in a sunglass factory there but now maybe that isn't all that great of an idea.

I think you've just about hit the nail on the head with your assumption Chuck. :)

No I wouldn't bother with the sunglass factory, this would be a better investment. :LOL:

upload_2016-1-15_17-17-0.png

Ask a Question