What Vegetable Plants Can I Start Planting Now

Reaction score
Country
United States
HI, I'm New Here And I'm Also New To Gardening

I'v always wanted a vegetable garden and I finally got one. In June I started some plants in seeds and they are doing awesome ( Seeds: Cucumber, Watermelon, Tomatoes, Lettuce, Peas, Beans, Corn, and Onion bulbs) and I bought some strawberry and Cucumber Starter Plants. Like I said everything is fine and they are starting to produce.
Ok heres what Im asking. My friends and family love what I'm doing and they want me to do some Green Bell Pepper, Broccoli, and Zucchini. Can I start any of these from seeds and will be able to harvest them before it gets cold and snowy? Or can I buy some starter plants? I live in Indiana

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do not know your zone so can't answer your question. Look up your last frost date and the date to maturity on the seeds you would like to plant. The first weeks of July are when I plant my winter cole crops. Broccoli is a possibility, peppers are probably out. Lettuces and salad greens if your summers are not too hot so that they bolt. Good luck and happy eating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! :) Vegetable gardening is fun and it sounds like you're off to a great start.

Hard to answer your question precisely without knowing your growing zone - here's how you can find yours:
http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

In Indiana, I imagine greens can still be started from seed but peppers and summer squash, not so much. You would indeed have a lot more choices by purchasing already-started plants from a garden center. I'd recommend an independent, locally-owned one rather than a big-box store. Better, healthier plants and more knowledgeable staff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome. The green leafy vegetables should still be able to be planted, but you may need to start focusing on fall and winter veggies if you are eager to start planting before next spring. Pumpkins would be good to start planting!

Ask a Question