What's your favourite part of gardening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Being able to harvest my own vegetables. I really love planting vegetables. In fact, being able to successfully plant a corn before got me interested in gardening in the first place. :) I love being able to show off my harvest and giving them to my friends and relatives.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
There's something very compelling about discovering a new tool or technique that makes gardening more enjoyable or more productive. I enjoy combing through the tool aisle of an old hardware store on a Sunday while I'm picking up whatever I might need for that days garden work. I'm fascinated by new tools that come to market. We're so used to using the same old tool our grandfathers used, that we sometimes miss new innovations that make gardening an even bigger pleasure.

Reaction score
Getting free fresh herbs!

I thought dried herbs tasted exactly like fresh herbs but more intense. I was so, so wrong.

Granted, I really suck at gardening. I thought I'd be better by now, but my plants still keep dying. Luckily I have a green-thumbed uncle who is generous with his seedlings. :)

Reaction score
My favorite part of gardening is seeing whatever i have planted grown to maturity and starts producing; it brings me great joy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The actual work is the best part of gardening. Getting into the dirt and getting those hands dirty is very therapeutic. Gardening is all abut the action that it takes to create beauty.

Reaction score
My favorite part of gardening is planting many different types of beautiful flowers and watching them grow. Having your own garden does take a lot of work but it's so worth it in the end. I don't mind getting dirty while working in the garden and I'm definitely a hard worker. I like everything about gardening and after my work is finished I take good care of my flowers by watering them and making sure they get enough sunlight.

Reaction score
My favorite part of gardening is just being outside and taking in mother nature. I enjoy the time it gives me to just get away from things and think for a while. I enjoy the work and preperation that goes into it. I enjoy just about every thing about gardening except for the bugs and insects I encounter, and the occasional bad weather that sneaks up on you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like all the reasons you've listed here, being outside in the sun, watching something grows, picking the fruit of your labor, and digging my hands in the dirt. It is relaxing me while I am weeding too.

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
My favorite gardening activity is to go out to the street in the town where I live and collect leaves from the sidewalks to make munching in my veggie garden. Whenever I come across a bunch of leaves I think I'm rich!
My neighbors are not into gardening and they often let leaf mountains on their coreners. I get a bag, gloves and catch all the organic material I can. I feel as is I were a gardage collecter (which in fact I am). I feel extremelly happy doing this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Actually, plants are secondary in my gardening. My favorite part is creating habitat and watching that habitat. That's a big reason why I'm such a proponent of heavy mulching, because that builds up the soil better than anything else and a healthy soil is the foundation of a healthy habitat. I've learned so much; just one little interesting fact is that worms love to bore thru decaying wood (they don't just bore thru the soil).

I've seen on several occasions worms tunnel in and out of decaying wood, the first time was when I was turning over my compost and a worm that I dug up landed on a very large pine long and immediately went into a hole just the size of a worm. I though maybe that was a fluke, then I found worms in a stump in my yard, they tunneled up thru it from the ground.

I wasn't able to get a picture of those times, but I did get a picture of a worm tunneling thru a Magnolia seed pod, which is very woody, but it tunneled thru it like it was an apple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
My favorite gardening activity is to go out to the street in the town where I live and collect leaves from the sidewalks to make munching in my veggie garden. Whenever I come across a bunch of leaves I think I'm rich!
My neighbors are not into gardening and they often let leaf mountains on their coreners. I get a bag, gloves and catch all the organic material I can. I feel as is I were a gardage collecter (which in fact I am). I feel extremelly happy doing this!
I just noticed this post and I can say I do the exact same thing. I get really excited when I see bags of leaves on the curb:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
My favorite part in gardening is when I see my flowers bloom to its fullest. Healthy vegetable production. Maintaining the graden is not very easy for me. I have to pull out weeds every now and then. I usually have cuts during pulling out weeds. My friend recommended NoCry Puncture Resistant Gardening Gloves and it really work for me. Now even pulling out weeds is not a burden to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Whenever I come across a bunch of leaves I think I'm rich!
I know this feeling:) I just harvested my first compost. The garden is small and i worked long and hard to think of ways to compost in a small space so it wouldn't take up too much space and be unsightly, so it wouldn't stink and attract particularly nasty bugs and whatever else. With the help of a friend's encouragement, i made a plan and put it into practice...and it worked! When i was bagging up the results, i did feel wealthy and rich and ridiculously happy because of the results and because it is the exactly the right thing to do. Now, the man who trims the ornamental olive tree in the front of the house, also trims the trees (Neem trees) of some neighbors across and down the street a bit. He always bags up the leaves, but now he bags up the neem leaves and brings them to me. I like Neem leaves to use in the compost and also as mulch. The leaves are small and become crispy in no time. I love to use them in the compost bins and also as mulch. But still, i think what i best like in gardening is to see the seeds break the soil and raise their little heads.:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
I consider myself lucky to be able to have a small patch of earth which I can freely dig and enjoy planting, watering, seeing life while providing something for the birds, little creatures to enjoy too. In these tough times here, not all will be able to have the chance to grow a few plants as houses here are built so close to one another which leaves no space at all except for human movement between the houses separated by a compound wall! Mine is an inherited property, made 105 years ago by my g/g/father and only half of it remains with me [other going to brother]. So in this yard space, I have spent most of my spare hours even doing nothing often! Just being there is a good feeling. Most of the times I take my breakfast near the pond and have it there, looking at the sun, the fish, a few birds that fly by, the blue water lily, some flowers and of course the greens. Coffee-tea is also taken out and had what I call 'in-garden'!
I'll show photos in another thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
In the spring I love to plant without gloves, to touch the soil and then to wash my hands in a barrel of water. And in the summer I love working in the greenhouse with tomatoes. I cut their leaves, and there is a beautiful tomatoes smell . And of course I love to show my harvest and to present my tomatoes to neughbors and relatives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Another favorite part of gardening for me is seeing what comes back year after year. I've noticed that certain cultivated plants seem to reseed themselves better than the original sowing; in other words, I'll get a few plants from a single seed package, but then they'll propagate via seeds by many, many, many... Although, I'm not sure if it's because the subsequent generations are more vital or if the seed package had a bad batch:confused: And some just don't propagate.

Couple of examples are Cosmos, Sunflowers, milkweed, Sugar Baby watermelons, morning glory...Although, I guess a major factor in all this is the amount of seeds produced vs. what you get in a package.

A surprising cultivated plant is broccoli (at least in my very limited experience) that propagated in a big way. I planted them for the first time last year from a seed package that a neighbor gave me, nothing special, just a plain package you may find in a Walmart. Only two plants survived from all those seeds, but one was a very hardy and large plant and produced many flowers that the bees went crazy over (the second plant wasn't that big, but it did produce some nice flowers.

And after the flowers went to seed, the birds went crazy over the seeds and I didn't attempt to save any. Then on top of that I dug around my yard a lot burying a lot of wood, so any seeds that were in the top layer of the soil were buried with the wood. However, this year I have well over a dozen broccoli plants that came back from those two plants and most of them are very big and beginning to produce broccoli heads. I wonder if I'll have enough bees to work them, along with all my Florida Betony and Spiderwort, which will flower about the same time.

BTW, right now the bees are loving the purple wood sorrel(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I do not know what part of gardening favorite. But I lose weight when I'm to plant and when I'm weed to plant. And I love it! :love:

Ad

Advertisements

Sol

Reaction score
Country
United States

Ask a Question