What's your favourite part of gardening?

Reaction score
I love how calming it is to plant seeds, bulbs and flowers. As I plant bulbs or seeds, I imagine which colour the flowers will be, what the colour will do for the other colours and the garden itself. My vision for the garden comes together more. I also love to sit and read or watch my son play in the backyard as the flowers come up, and enjoy the. beauty and smell of them.

Reaction score
Oh I so ditto everyone. :) Calming, relaxing, emotionally satisfying, and delicious beyond compare.

It's also the sweet surprises. The things that 'come back' or sprout when you thought they were gone. I had lime basil sprout this year and I didn't know any seeds were in the planter box but they were, now that bugger is full of lime basil. They survived about three winters. It's not my fave really, but it's so awesome to be surprised. I have not had lime basil in three years, so that means they were down there. Now I could look at that like you guys took three years to show up?! Or I could look at it like WOW, what a blessing, and you survived all those winters.

AND seeds from one of the tomato plants from last year must have been in some dirt I reused It's coming up now! I will have late tomatoes. Of some kind.
In my lines of work, I enjoy taking the mystery out of many things for people. I love empowering people to empower themselves. But in the garden, there always is that I don't know what the heck will happen really. And I LOVE that.

Reaction score
I have grown mostly ornamental all this time, so for me the whole process was fun, but what I liked the most was getting the cuttings and get 'em ready for their new pots. It was fun to see most of them made it. I grew cucumbers several times as well, what I liked most of that was seeing those tiny cucumbers grow into huge cucumbers!

Reaction score
What motivates you to garden? Is being outside in the sunshine, watching something grow or w
Harvesting your own vegetables.

I love to spend all day in the garden satisfied I sit back with a big bowl of snap peas, or a tomato sandwich. That's what keeps me out there.
I love watching a garden transform from season to season. It is especially fun in the spring as I watch my bulbs reappear and I get to plan out and execute a new vegetable garden. I like to wait for a bright sunny day and go out in the garden in shorts and a tank top. After a long winter, I feel like I need the sunshine almost as much as my plants do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Being able to harvest my own vegetables. I really love planting vegetables. In fact, being able to successfully plant a corn before got me interested in gardening in the first place. :) I love being able to show off my harvest and giving them to my friends and relatives.

Reaction score
There's something very compelling about discovering a new tool or technique that makes gardening more enjoyable or more productive. I enjoy combing through the tool aisle of an old hardware store on a Sunday while I'm picking up whatever I might need for that days garden work. I'm fascinated by new tools that come to market. We're so used to using the same old tool our grandfathers used, that we sometimes miss new innovations that make gardening an even bigger pleasure.

Reaction score
Getting free fresh herbs!

I thought dried herbs tasted exactly like fresh herbs but more intense. I was so, so wrong.

Granted, I really suck at gardening. I thought I'd be better by now, but my plants still keep dying. Luckily I have a green-thumbed uncle who is generous with his seedlings. :)

Reaction score
My favorite part of gardening is seeing whatever i have planted grown to maturity and starts producing; it brings me great joy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The actual work is the best part of gardening. Getting into the dirt and getting those hands dirty is very therapeutic. Gardening is all abut the action that it takes to create beauty.

Reaction score
My favorite part of gardening is planting many different types of beautiful flowers and watching them grow. Having your own garden does take a lot of work but it's so worth it in the end. I don't mind getting dirty while working in the garden and I'm definitely a hard worker. I like everything about gardening and after my work is finished I take good care of my flowers by watering them and making sure they get enough sunlight.

Reaction score
My favorite part of gardening is just being outside and taking in mother nature. I enjoy the time it gives me to just get away from things and think for a while. I enjoy the work and preperation that goes into it. I enjoy just about every thing about gardening except for the bugs and insects I encounter, and the occasional bad weather that sneaks up on you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like all the reasons you've listed here, being outside in the sun, watching something grows, picking the fruit of your labor, and digging my hands in the dirt. It is relaxing me while I am weeding too.

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
My favorite gardening activity is to go out to the street in the town where I live and collect leaves from the sidewalks to make munching in my veggie garden. Whenever I come across a bunch of leaves I think I'm rich!
My neighbors are not into gardening and they often let leaf mountains on their coreners. I get a bag, gloves and catch all the organic material I can. I feel as is I were a gardage collecter (which in fact I am). I feel extremelly happy doing this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Actually, plants are secondary in my gardening. My favorite part is creating habitat and watching that habitat. That's a big reason why I'm such a proponent of heavy mulching, because that builds up the soil better than anything else and a healthy soil is the foundation of a healthy habitat. I've learned so much; just one little interesting fact is that worms love to bore thru decaying wood (they don't just bore thru the soil).

I've seen on several occasions worms tunnel in and out of decaying wood, the first time was when I was turning over my compost and a worm that I dug up landed on a very large pine long and immediately went into a hole just the size of a worm. I though maybe that was a fluke, then I found worms in a stump in my yard, they tunneled up thru it from the ground.

I wasn't able to get a picture of those times, but I did get a picture of a worm tunneling thru a Magnolia seed pod, which is very woody, but it tunneled thru it like it was an apple.

Ask a Question