Whats Your Favorite Tomatoes To Grow!!!

Reaction score
Are you actually growing " Indigo Rose " because if you are - I'm truly envious - as although I'd planned to grow them this year - I was really disappointed to find that I was unable to get hold of the seeds - which although the seeds were due to be released for the first time ever this Spring - they were none to be found and it was only just recently that I found out that - instead of releasing the seeds Worldwide - they had chosen to limit the release to a few plants in a few selected Countries instead of releasing the seeds.

So as it looks like I'm now going to have to wait till next year before I get the chance to grow " Indigo Rose " - would love to know if you are actually growing them and of course whether you like them or not - especially as they are said to be considerably less sweet than regular tomatoes.
Oh, it's been a while since I visited here. Sorry for the late response! Yes, I have been able to grow "Indigo Rose" thanks to my neighbour who is a fanatic gardener. The length she goes to get the "right" seeds is beyond me. I have to ask her where she got them from next time I see her. And I will report back to you. :)

Reaction score
Oh, it's been a while since I visited here. Sorry for the late response! Yes, I have been able to grow "Indigo Rose" thanks to my neighbour who is a fanatic gardener. The length she goes to get the "right" seeds is beyond me. I have to ask her where she got them from next time I see her. And I will report back to you. :)

No worries and many thanks for your kind offer too - especially as this is not the first time that I've been extremely disappointed when looking forward to growing a newly introduced plant variety - in that - although the new variety was promoted as having the seeds being readily available at a specific time - they were in fact not and unfortunately very much the case with " Indigo Rose " as even my regular seed supplier who can normally get any type of seed that I require - couldn't get hold of any either - however as the seeds for " Indigo Rose " have now finally become available - there will be no problem with me getting them in time for next years planting.

So as I'm now really looking forward to growing " Indigo Rose " next year - would love to know how you get on with yours - not only in terms of how the plant itself does but also how good the flavor is - especially as its said to be extremely delicious but less sweet than many of the regular tomato varieties :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I like Gardener's Delight, but, because they ripen so late, I've found them very prone to splitting.
I've found Maskotka to be delicious, and I grow Shirley because my wife enjoys them so much, and they are nice, but, like Chuck, I live in search of the perfect tomato.

This year's varieties are, 2 Moneymaker plants I was given, 10 baskets with Maskotka, 9 Ailsa Craig plants. 6 Shirley plants, and new for this year, 17 Roma VF plum, and 4 Falcorosso cherry plum.

Reaction score
This is my first year growing tomatoes, roma to be exact. Got a late start... or I should say they were planted in time but the freak hail storm ruined those. So after replanting they are well on their way. I just need to do more research on them since I hear they can be finicky and Reno can be a weird and harsh environment for growing.

Reaction score
Also, I didn't want to start a new thread for this question, but can I grow two roma plants in one pot? It's a decent sized one.

And if the answer is yes, should I do one cage for both or give each their own post?

There seems to be enough space, I would think. I just don't know if that will cause issues under the surface.
IMG_20140712_193124_462.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like Gardener's Delight, but, because they ripen so late, I've found them very prone to splitting.
I've found Maskotka to be delicious, and I grow Shirley because my wife enjoys them so much, and they are nice, but, like Chuck, I live in search of the perfect tomato.

This year's varieties are, 2 Moneymaker plants I was given, 10 baskets with Maskotka, 9 Ailsa Craig plants. 6 Shirley plants, and new for this year, 17 Roma VF plum, and 4 Falcorosso cherry plum.
Of the varieties that you are planting I am familiar only with the Roma VF. I my soil they are exceptionally
Also, I didn't want to start a new thread for this question, but can I grow two roma plants in one pot? It's a decent sized one.

And if the answer is yes, should I do one cage for both or give each their own post?

There seems to be enough space, I would think. I just don't know if that will cause issues under the surface.
View attachment 3144
You can grow 2 tomatos in the same pot but you won't get much production and will quickly become root bound unless in something the size of a half whiskey barrel. Tomatoes in the ground should be a minimum of 2 feet apart, preferably 3 feet. That little pot you have it in now is not big enough for 1 plant much less 2. At a minimum us a 5 gallon bucket sized container and heavy enough that it can't blow over. A nice healty Roma will be over 3' tall and about that wide. When I grow Romas I usually stake them

Reaction score
Of the varieties that you are planting I am familiar only with the Roma VF. I my soil they are exceptionally

You can grow 2 tomatos in the same pot but you won't get much production and will quickly become root bound unless in something the size of a half whiskey barrel. Tomatoes in the ground should be a minimum of 2 feet apart, preferably 3 feet. That little pot you have it in now is not big enough for 1 plant much less 2. At a minimum us a 5 gallon bucket sized container and heavy enough that it can't blow over. A nice healty Roma will be over 3' tall and about that wide. When I grow Romas I usually stake them
Thanks. I'll let them go a bit longer to see which looks healthiest and chop one down.

And the photo is misleading. That's a 10 gallon pot.

Reaction score
It really is misleading. It looks like an 8" 2 gallon pot
Heh yeah I could see that. I think it's just a weird perspective. The zucchini to the left are in a 13(ish) gallon container and the hops to the right are in 16 gallons if I remember correctly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like the beefsteak tomatoes. I think these have some of the best flavor. They are also easiest to cut to make salsa, brusschetta and to put on a sandwich. I also love making fried green tomatoes from them and pickling the green ones.
Roma tomatoes are my next favorite. I personally am not a fan of cherry tomatoes. I like to cut them up and find these to be too seedy.

Ask a Question