What's wrong with my snake plant (Sansevieria Moonshine) and can I save it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had this snake plant for almost 2 years. It was once thriving, but some attacks from my cat and a cross-country move have put it through a lot. The big leaves have wilted and wrinkled, but they're still alive and green. They've been like this for months. There is some new growth in the middle. I up-potted to see if the roots could help me diagnose the issue. The roots are somewhat tan, some are pretty dry but some seem plump. They're not white, but they don't look fully rotted. I always let the soil dry out in-between waterings. It gets bright, indirect sun pretty much daily. Anyone know what's going on here and what I could do to save it? Thanks!!
IMG_4834.jpeg
IMG_4833.jpeg
IMG_4832.jpeg
IMG_4830.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If that were my plant, I would take a very sharp clean knife and cut through the root downwards either side of the new growth that shows in the centre. Remove all of the surrounding wilted growth and repot the small new piece with fresh compost. Then wait for it to re grow.
Although this plant doesn`t ask for much, this one has almost had too much neglect. They are not all that fussy but do appreciate a modicum of routine. If you can successfully grow this on, it would be very easy to make another plant from a leaf cutting - one of the easiest plants to propagate from a healthy leaf.
Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
If that were my plant, I would take a very sharp clean knife and cut through the root downwards either side of the new growth that shows in the centre. Remove all of the surrounding wilted growth and repot the small new piece with fresh compost. Then wait for it to re grow.
Although this plant doesn`t ask for much, this one has almost had too much neglect. They are not all that fussy but do appreciate a modicum of routine. If you can successfully grow this on, it would be very easy to make another plant from a leaf cutting - one of the easiest plants to propagate from a healthy leaf.
Welcome to the forum by the way :)
Thank you so much, Tetters! I will do what you recommended and see what happens. By the way, I did take the last healthy leaf a few months ago. It grew some significant roots and even a little bud! I just potted it yesterday, so I'm crossing my fingers that it establishes.
IMG_4838.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fantastic !! Lovely promising new bud - just think, the way you`re going you`ll be able to start up a Sansevieria moonshine shop soon :giggle:

Reaction score
Country
United States

Snake Plant (Dracaena Trifasciata) Indoor Care Guide

The plant has tall, sword-shaped dark green leaves with white stripes that appear as different types of marbling depending on the variety. Many different Snake Plant varieties are cultivated for the unique marbling on their leaves. The plant gets its name from its growth pattern, which resembles an arboreal snake’s body coiling around itself.

Ask a Question