What's the most unusual herb you've planted?

Reaction score
I have been collecting herbs, growing herbs and tasting recipes with herbs in them for many years now. I have collected information on over 80 different herb types (if you are interested I can post a list) and have tasted most. Unfortunately though, most will not grow here in the UK, either the season's too short or it's too cold in the winter.

The most unusual one for me that I've managed to keep going is East Indian lemongrass (a spindly version of the lemongrass you get in the shops) that has the same flavour profile. It grows well in the spring and summer, but over winter I have to pack it with rotting manure to give it heat and prevent it from dying. So far it's still alive.

I just love lemongrass as a flavouring and though it's tougher and more fibrous than the other kind, it's a welcome addition to the garden.

What other more unusual herbs are out there in peoples' gardens?

Reaction score
I have recently found some Cinnamon Basil seedlings at our local heirloom dealer's stall at a farmers market. They are really growing well and are quite beautiful to look at. What I do not get though is why they are called cinnamon basil, for the smell like aniseed and not basil at all.

Finding rare herbs in South Africa are quite a Challenge, as the biggest part of South Africans are only interested in your general herbs. Heirloom has quite a range of herbs but you have to grow them from seeds and some of them are not really compatible with our climate.

Other interesting herbs I found were a Chocolate mint and a Pineapple mint.

Cinnamon Basil

images

Reaction score
Most of my herbs are the standard kind, like basil and chives. The only thing I have that's a little unusual is my chocolate mint plant. I'm planning to buy pineapple sage and orange mint because I saw the plants at my local garden center and they smelled great. I found some recipes on Pinterest for drinks that you can make with herbs so I'd like to get more mint varieties for my container garden.

Reaction score
I've grown apple mint as well as chocolate, pineaplle, regular mint and spearmint but the most different was Eau de Cologne mint it's leaves are redish and when you crush the leaves they have a lovely perfume. I also have grown pineapple sage. Most mints must be grown in containers to avoid them taking over in the garden

Reaction score
I've grown apple mint as well as chocolate, pineaplle, regular mint and spearmint but the most different was Eau de Cologne mint it's leaves are redish and when you crush the leaves they have a lovely perfume. I also have grown pineapple sage. Most mints must be grown in containers to avoid them taking over in the garden

I know the fruity scented mint plants can be used to make tea, but what is Eau De Cologne mint used for? Are you supposed to eat it? That's definitely unusual and interesting. I've never heard of that variety before.

Reaction score
I know the fruity scented mint plants can be used to make tea, but what is Eau De Cologne mint used for? Are you supposed to eat it? That's definitely unusual and interesting. I've never heard of that variety before.
I don't know if it has culinary or medicinal uses but it works well in pot pouri, generally I just like to crush a few leaves to smell when pottering about in the garden

Reaction score
Nothing particularly unusual, and this is one area I want to explore. I'm particularly interested in specific-medicinal herbs (that may not taste great) found in Traditional Chinese medicine etc. I can then make my own natural medicines for various ills. It's a fungus, but I'd really like to move somewhere with a big, fallen log and grow 'reishi mushrooms.'

I guess the most unusual I've grown is 'saltbush.' It's a native shrub to Australia (may exist elsewhere in the world). You crush the leaves up, or even chew them with meat etc to effectively "salt" your food. Indigenous Australians apparently made some use of them in salting kangaroo meat.

Reaction score
My most unusual herb is wormwood. I was watching Dr. Oz talk about a parasite detox tea that required wormwood. I got curious about it and ordered some seeds from horizon seeds. I started the plant around September of last year and it is doing well. It is kind of attractive. I also read that too much of it can be toxic .. so I will not be making wormwood tea. However, it is a interesting plant to grow for sport.

Jed

Reaction score
My most unusual herb is wormwood. I was watching Dr. Oz talk about a parasite detox tea that required wormwood. I got curious about it and ordered some seeds from horizon seeds. I started the plant around September of last year and it is doing well. It is kind of attractive. I also read that too much of it can be toxic .. so I will not be making wormwood tea. However, it is a interesting plant to grow for sport.

I believe worm wood can be planted near chickens. They peck at it and the plant itself keeps away parasites.
The alcoholic drink absinthe is made using wormwood as one of the ingredients.
I would be careful though to use wormwood in anything unless you are sure what you are doing.
Wormwood does make a lovely hedge if planted down in a row.

DETA-49.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you, for the information Jed. That is some beautiful wormwood, mines is still in the "youngin stage". I hope it grows to get really bush, it looks really thin right now. :pI'm not complaining just making an observation. I am growing mines for aesthetic purposes, you can never be too careful.

Reaction score
I have recently found some Cinnamon Basil seedlings at our local heirloom dealer's stall at a farmers market. They are really growing well and are quite beautiful to look at. What I do not get though is why they are called cinnamon basil, for the smell like aniseed and not basil at all.

Finding rare herbs in South Africa are quite a Challenge, as the biggest part of South Africans are only interested in your general herbs. Heirloom has quite a range of herbs but you have to grow them from seeds and some of them are not really compatible with our climate.

Other interesting herbs I found were a Chocolate mint and a Pineapple mint.

Cinnamon Basil

images
I have grown the chocolate mint and love the flavor of it in tea. I also have apple and pineapple but the chocolate has the best flavor. Never heard of cinnamon basil before but it sounds wonderful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately, I have nothing to brag about:( I love growing herbs, I find it very rewarding, but so far, I haven't grown anything unusual. I'm just a beginner, so every little plant in my flower pot seems very special to me. My basil is unusually big, but I'm not sure if it counts:p
Firelily99, tea with chocolate mint sounds so good!

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have nothing to brag about:( I love growing herbs, I find it very rewarding, but so far, I haven't grown anything unusual. I'm just a beginner, so every little plant in my flower pot seems very special to me. My basil is unusually big, but I'm not sure if it counts:p
Firelily99, tea with chocolate mint sounds so good!
It is really, really good!

Reaction score
Most of my herbs are the standard kind, like basil and chives. The only thing I have that's a little unusual is my chocolate mint plant. I'm planning to buy pineapple sage and orange mint because I saw the plants at my local garden center and they smelled great. I found some recipes on Pinterest for drinks that you can make with herbs so I'd like to get more mint varieties for my container garden.
I have a pineapple mint that's nice and a chocolate mint that is awesome in tea. I've never seen orange mint though, I'll have to try and find some.

Ask a Question