What's Looking Good in May

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks.

That Cistus has variegated leaves which form a good contrast to the flower buds. Both the variegated varieties and the plain green ones are two weeks behind their normal timing.

The flowers are a beautiful bright white and only last a day, but the plant continues to produce them for three or four months. One of the green leafed varieties is in this picture.
P1230391.JPG

It's the plant which is on the right of the picture just above the centre and protruding slightly over the lawn.

Behind and to the left of it is a lovely Euphorbia mellifera, which is slightly swamping the Cistus. The flowers smell of honey.

To the left of that, and against the fence, is a bamboo and the smaller, darker, clump in front of the bamboo is one of my favourites, Veronicastrum. By June/July the pink flowers will have grown to 6ft - 7ft tall and be covered in bees and butterflies.

In front of the Cistus is the light colour of another Euphorbia, Ascot Rainbow. The lower, pink and mauve flowers are geraniums. The tall purple flowers at the top left are Alliums and the white flowers behind them are on a golden leafed Choisyia.

The brighter, pale green flowers in the foreground are one of the varieties of Hellebores that flowers all through the winter and the green mass on the bottom right is one of the many varieties of Hebe. This one tends to grow quite low (for a Hebe) with small leaves and, in June/July is completely covered in white flowers. Most Hebes have purple flowers.

In one of the other beds the lovely coloured leaves of the Epimedium are now showing. It's an interesting plant where the flowers form before the leaves. By the time the leaves are there the flowers have finished.

This one has pink flowers and there are just the odd bits of pink left
P1230186.JPG

and this is a yellow flowered one
P1230187.JPG

The yellow flowered Saphora that is in one of the posts above has interesting large clumps of flowers. The plant has grown to about 8ft tall and looks quite spectacular when in full bloom.
P1230106.JPG

P1230105.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Plants grow very well in our climate and it seems silly not to take advantage of it. (y) It does take an awful lot of work, though!

My neighbour has a very simple garden, lawn trees and a few shrubs, and it takes him about four hours a week to keep it tidy. Our garden would take about three days a week for a professional gardener - but we don't have one. :D

We keep saying that, as we're in our seventies, we will make the garden easier to look after. Instead we have made it more complicated. This year we've made a new flower bed that is 55ft x 3.5ft. :eek:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm coming to have a look at your garden on Saturday Bootsy, get the kettle on (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hi Zigs,

What cake would you prefer with your cuppa? We've also got Pimms again if you want it :D.

Are you driving up on Friday? I've only just managed to find a place for Freddy, and Mrs Freddy, to stay as he tried to book and couldn't find anywhere because he'd left it a bit late. It's sorted now.

See you Saturday. (y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ooo, fruit cake like they used to sell in Woolworths ta :D

Got an appointment on friday lunchtime:rolleyes: So be driving up after that, not the best time to set off.

See you then (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Are you going to meet up, in the evening, with the others that are coming up on Friday?

Jenny and Mary are coming up early on Friday to help make sandwiches for the helpers and the GC crowd. (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
May is the month here in most part of India for the may flower tree to show off. The botanical name is Royal Poinciana. Thee trees dot the landscape on highways and is a riot of colour both red and orange. This tree brings in happy news for kids as the schools close to open only in June.

View attachment 6317

Image credit: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Royal_Poinciana.jpg

The other flowering tree is Peltophorum which can be seen on highways and byways as well. I have a tree growing just outside my compound

View attachment 6318

The roads get strewn with petals and that again is a sight for sore eyes.
That poinciana is incredible. What a wonderful sight as you go about your day

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Thanks.

That Cistus has variegated leaves which form a good contrast to the flower buds. Both the variegated varieties and the plain green ones are two weeks behind their normal timing.

The flowers are a beautiful bright white and only last a day, but the plant continues to produce them for three or four months. One of the green leafed varieties is in this picture.
View attachment 6321

It's the plant which is on the right of the picture just above the centre and protruding slightly over the lawn.

Behind and to the left of it is a lovely Euphorbia mellifera, which is slightly swamping the Cistus. The flowers smell of honey.

To the left of that, and against the fence, is a bamboo and the smaller, darker, clump in front of the bamboo is one of my favourites, Veronicastrum. By June/July the pink flowers will have grown to 6ft - 7ft tall and be covered in bees and butterflies.

In front of the Cistus is the light colour of another Euphorbia, Ascot Rainbow. The lower, pink and mauve flowers are geraniums. The tall purple flowers at the top left are Alliums and the white flowers behind them are on a golden leafed Choisyia.

The brighter, pale green flowers in the foreground are one of the varieties of Hellebores that flowers all through the winter and the green mass on the bottom right is one of the many varieties of Hebe. This one tends to grow quite low (for a Hebe) with small leaves and, in June/July is completely covered in white flowers. Most Hebes have purple flowers.

In one of the other beds the lovely coloured leaves of the Epimedium are now showing. It's an interesting plant where the flowers form before the leaves. By the time the leaves are there the flowers have finished.

This one has pink flowers and there are just the odd bits of pink left
View attachment 6322

and this is a yellow flowered one
View attachment 6323

The yellow flowered Saphora that is in one of the posts above has interesting large clumps of flowers. The plant has grown to about 8ft tall and looks quite spectacular when in full bloom.
View attachment 6324

View attachment 6325
What a lovely lay out, Bootsy. I'm thrilled to say I have some of the plants in my garden but I love your combination. It really is inspiring to see what other gardeners do. It isn't possible to copy as nature doesn't let us but it's great to put our own slant on things.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
My garden is just starting to come to life. :)

Saxifraga 'Arendensii'
View attachment 6291

Solomon's Seal behind Azalea
View attachment 6292
Love the color of the first one. I don't think I know that one so I'll keep an eye open. So good to see everyone's gardens...sitting here very comfy with a cuppa having a lovely time. Thanks Sheal.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Will leave from Melbourne /Tullamarine Airport, stopover in either Dubai or Singapore for a few hours, land at Heathrow and then.....maybe I'd better take a rain check. Have a great day!!!,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
That's not a problem! ;) We have an international airport only ten minutes away so you won't need Heathrow. (y) If you leave now you may make it by Saturday :ROFLMAO:

By the way, if you fly through Singapore to England and use Singapore airlines you can get special deals. As long as you're not flying on their busy days (so go mid-week) and make a one or two day stopover in Singapore you can, quite often, get an enormous discount on the flights. It's subsidised by the government/tourist board.

When we flew to Australia we got the deal and were able to get about 35% off the fare.

Ask a Question