What's looking good in May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
India
Apropos zigs' post, here is an old Apricot Tree in front of a very old Buddhist Monastery in the village of Alchi near Leh, in the northernmost state of India. It is 2000 miles from where I live and where we had gone last month. This is for Becky and Ian's Anniversary.

How old this tree could be?

P1040509.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice Dinu :)

Got to be very old with a trunk that big :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:)Happy Anniversary Becky and Ian. Here is yet another tree to celebrate the happy 5th anniversary. It is an ornamental olive tree growing in front of my house in Colima, Mexico sending eternal blessings; a sturdy, exuberant tree with deep roots, and full of nesting birdies, almost always
P1020121.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You're all posting some luscious photos. :) I don't have much to share yet but l have been harvesting and eating my asparagus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you guys are so lucky! it was snow showering here today and our grass is just starting to green! a balmy 43f!

I feel your pain! We've had an uncommonly warm winter and spring but three or four years ago we had snow in May and a frost in early June. :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Dinu said: Never imagined it was of this shape and thanks for part of the street view!

Social considerations require that i keep the tree trimmed, although some people don't care, as a foreigner i don't want to rile the neighbors. I dutifully have it trimmed once a month, but only the top shoots popping out are cut and the tree trimmer knows not to disturb the birdies. The vegetation is nice and thick. This block has few trees compared to the norm and i'm not sure why that is. There are some lovely neighborhoods with lots of ancient trees, flowering trees, fruit trees, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Beth_B I would love to see a photo of your asparagus, if you haven't eaten it all:)

Picked all the visible long spears yesterday! Lots more emerging though. By late summer the ferns are over 6' tall and covered with little red berries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
By late summer the ferns are over 6' tall and covered with little red berries.

Those are female plants. The male plants don't produce berries and so most of their strength goes into producing thicker spears. (y)

@zigs those look like females but could possibly be (but unlikely) younger males that haven't developed their thicker stems yet. They look almost ready to produce ferns. Leave them until the Autumn to see whether they produce berries. If so, then you may want to lift them and replace them with male plants. I think there are some varieties that are virtually all males. Mr Google will tell you.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wild Columbine has buds on it. This is particularly exciting, because Wild Columbine was the first native plant I ID'd years ago, so to see one bloom for the first time in my own yard is going to be awesome!

IMG_7482 copy.jpg

Wild Strawberries continue to bloom, and the leaves have gotten nice and large. I really like the foliage of Wild Strawberry. I'm surprised it isn't used in gardens more as a ground cover.
IMG_7486 copy.jpg

My ferns are finally growing. I don't know what kind this one is, but its looking really good!
IMG_7502 copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question